Chapter Five

Amory is good at this. He laughs and jokes with girls he vaguely recognizes and plays beer pong with guys he has said maybe five sentences to throughout the year. I smile softly as Amory manages to land another ball in a red foam cup. He jumps up and down with Aaron by his side and all the boys howl as Parker chugs the lukewarm beer. When Amory smiles his eyes light up and his face crinkles into a picture of happiness. I cross my arms and lean back against the doorpost. I don't know how he does it, folding everything he is inside out to have fun again after everything he's been through, but I would like him to show me how.

I take the bottle of Macallan from the kitchen counter and make my way to the living room. It's half an hour to midnight and the bottle is half empty. There's bodies everywhere, dancing and moving and screaming, and faces I hardly recognize, pretty and happy and smiling. One of the guys sitting on the sofa takes his beer and jumps up. He smiles at me and I recognize the dark curls and deep brown eyes of my former teammate.

"Eli Johnson," I hold out my hand and Eli pulls me toward him. He pats my shoulder and raises his beer to me. "Kane Hart!" He smiles. "It's good to see you."

I nod and lean back against the wall. Eli turns his back to the wall as well and gestures at the party. "It's been a while since we saw you at one of these."

"I know," I mumble.

"We miss you man," he says, his voice turning softer, "the team isn't the same without you and Sheffield." I smirk and take another sip of the scotch. It could be the alcohol, but it feels good to be missed.

"Anyway," he nods at his friends, "we're playing a game. Wanna join?"

I shake my head. "No, thanks."

Eli sighs and shrugs his shoulder. "The invitation stands if you change your mind," he says. He turns around and walks backwards slowly.

"I know you went through hell Sophomore year," he says softly, "but you were my friend once and High School is almost over. Just know that you're still a Spartan. You're still part of this team."

I nod once and smirk. "That's good to hear," I say softly, but Eli is already engulfed in the drinking game they're playing. I take another sip and watch them play. There's music and laughter, I know there is, and bodies moving hysterically and people close to tears from happiness and sickness, but all I hear is the loud beating of my heart and all I see is a colorful mess. I blink and chuckle softly to myself. Strange.

Amory is not in the kitchen anymore. It's a quarter to midnight and I push myself through a heap of bodies crowding the patio. The twinkling lights of the city greet me. I can see the whole skyline, tall buildings lit up against the dark of night, and their reflections dancing in the water. My eyes travel down the lake to where the water meets the grass and there he is. Sitting by himself, staring up at the dark blue night sky.

I shiver and curse myself for wearing nothing but a black T-shirt tonight. The wind is cold and biting and gets stronger the closer I get to the water. I tap Amory's shoulder with the bottle of scotch and he looks up with widened eyes. He smiles and takes the bottle from my hand. I nod and sit down next to him. Amory takes a big gulp of the Macallan and sets it down in between us.

I shake my head slowly and watch the lights of the city swaying on the ripples in the water.

"What is it with you Diver twins and lakes?" I mumble and Amory chuckles. He takes another shot and passes me the bottle.

"It's Winthrop actually," he says softly, "Amory and Fay Winthrop."

I nod and smile softly. I'd forgotten. Of course there were more important details to Amory's and Fay's life story than their surname. I sigh. It's crazy how the city seems so serene, even when small waves twist her reflection in the water, while the music and screams from the party echo so loudly through the night.