Chapter Twenty

*Friday*

Liz's POV:

I was pleased on Wednesday when my sister had sent me a message saying that she and Emily had spoken and that things seemed to have been cleared up between the two since the Emily and Cameron situation first arose. It upsets me that Emily won't come to me with her problems and how she's feeling, but it's so lovely to see that she has such a special relationship with my sister. Megan has gone through so much in her life, and to know Emily connects with her makes my heart incredibly happy.

"What are you thinking about?" Connor placed his hand on my knee, bringing me out of my thoughts as we waited in the therapists waiting room.

"Just Emily and my sister. I'm just really happy that they've made up after all this time."

"Well I think we'll definitely have a happier Emily in the house!" He chuckled quietly.

"I hope so!"

"Liz and Connor McDonough," the receptionist called out. "Renee is ready to see you now."

Connor gave me a reassuring smile, placing his hand on my back as we made our way into Renee's office.

I feel like I've come a long way in the last few months. In the beginning I was very hesitant to begin therapy even though I knew it would help me in the long run. However, Renee's office has become like a second home for me and I look forward to talking to someone that isn't in my family circle. I love my family, but it's good being able to talk to someone who is an outsider and can offer their own advice.

"Hey Liz, Hi Connor," Renee greeted us both with a hug before signalling to take a seat.

The first 10 minutes of the session was just an update for Renee so she was aware of how things were going in the McDonough household. She was pleased to know that Emily and my sister had made up and agreed that it will positively impact Emily's attitude.

The rest of the session consisted of Renee asking how I was dealing with my anxiety.

"I have definitely seen an improvement since you began taking the medication, you seem to be a lot calmer and just over all open to everything which is really good to see Liz. Have you come across any issue with the medication?"

"When I was first prescribed, yes for sure. I felt like I was crazy because I had to take pills to help me. It was also a challenge when Emily found out I was taking them because she accused me of being 'crazy.' That really hurt because that's exactly how I felt at the time. But I've gotten a lot better with it, I'm more accepting of it."

"And what about you Connor? How did you react when Liz told you about the medication?"

I immediately felt a lump in my throat when Renee asked my husband that question.

"Well um, initially I wasn't actually aware of the prescription."

I felt Renee's attention turn to me.

"You didn't tell Connor that I had put you on medication?"

I shook my head feeling embarrassed.

"And why is that?"

"I was ashamed," my eyes glassed over more and more as every word left my mouth. "I felt so weak, like I couldn't take control of my own life. I didn't want Connor to look at me the same way." Connor reached over and linked his hand my my own as I silently cried.

"Connor, do you think that about Liz?"

"Of course not. If anything I think she's stronger because she's taking a step in the right direction. If it's helping her than I definitely don't see it as making her weak."