OVERTURE

SUNSET SWALLOWS the sun as darkness devours the land, night chasing day chasing night in an eternal cycle forever racing across continents and oceans again and again and again. This endless war of light and dark rolls over realms of shadow and grace — lands of barren deserts, towering mountains, and lush forests.

Onaia.

A world of seven known realms separated by deep ocean waters. One sits bound in ice and inaccessible. The second is denied to all by powers unimaginable. Five more realms are each populated by vastly different peoples.

The Iron Realm.

A landmass of human dominions — nations at war and peace or plotting and praying for one or the other or more of the same. A land of diverse people slumbering beneath the light of twin moons, three in ten dreaming the same dream — rulers, peasants, priests, minstrels, merchants, tanners, soldiers, sailors, seers, farmers, fishermen, philosophers, blacksmiths, brew-wives, pilgrims, and fugitives all afflicted in equal measure.

They all dream of...

Stars blazing in coal-black emptiness. Celestial magnificence.

A heavenly firmament dimmed by an unexpected crimson light. Brilliance and beauty. A new star. Brighter than all others.

Sunrise and footsteps. Boots and bare feet tread the dust of a winding road. Thousands of eyes turn toward the horizon, following a beacon of boundless radiance.

Saltwater waves lap against barnacled hulls.

Sand and forest and ice-clear skies. A rainbow rises over weathered temple stones, splintered with time, yet retaining shape and form and function.

Clouds paint the sky in a sinuous spiral.

A woman stands atop a temple dais. Below, thousands kneel.

A voice resounds with otherworldly power — speaking in every attendant ear.

"I am the new goddess come to release you."