Prologue

It was a beautiful late November afternoon. The trees were colorful exhibiting a range of saturated hues of red, yellow, and orange. The sun was setting and the rays were going through a window that belonged to a hospital and casted its light on a young couple. There was a teenaged boy with black-rimmed glasses, brown eyes, and medium-length brown hair. Miyuki Kazuya was not only known for being a genius catcher but also for his cheeky personality among other things. But this time around his playful smirk was nowhere to be seen and instead a look of concern graced his handsome features.

Miyuki was sitting down on the hospital bed holding a girl of his same age and whispering sweet-nothings in her ear. Yukimura Ai was one of the top students in her class, was her class representative, and a member of the science club. She was not just generally well-liked by her peers but also considered to be very attractive just like her boyfriend Miyuki. At 5'4 with shoulder length thick midnight black hair, creamy slightly tanned skin, almond shaped blue-grey eyes, and a slim curvy figure, she often caught the attention of Seido High School's male population much to her dismay, since she often had to deal with unwanted confessions on a daily basis.

"Everything is going to be alright Ai-chan" Miyuki said while stroking her long tresses "I'm always going to be by your side no matter what." He placed a kiss on her forehead and then rested his chin on top of her head and held her tighter. He wanted to console her and reassure her no matter what, and hoped that by holding her tighter he could show his support to his beloved girlfriend.

"Do you promise Kazuya? I'm so happy that you are here with me and I don't know what I would've done without you." Ai asked Miyuki with pleading eyes.

"Of course baby I promise, but.. After all of this time do you really have a hard time believing me?" Miyuki asked her back with an incredulous look on his face and feeling somewhat offended.

"It's not that I don't believe you babe... It's just that I thought that you were going to be mad because I lied to you.. And that you were going to leave me." Ai responded lifting her head from Miyuki's chest and looking away embarrassed, with tears forming in her eyes.

"Ai." Miyuki said in a firm tone, lightly but firmly grabbing her chin to make her look at him. "While I'm not happy that you lied to me, specially since we both promised to each other that there weren't going to be any secrets between us, I'm not going to leave you because of that. Specially not in this moment; not right now. This is your life that we are talking about. I love too much for that and I will never leave you. My love for you isn't so weak that I will leave at the first sight of trouble. Do you understand?" Miyuki added boring his golden brown eyes into her blue-grey orbs. His firm tone leaving no room for arguments or doubts.

Ai nodded "I love you so much Kazuya." She said while hugging him and tears of happiness spilling out of her eyes.

"I love you too." Miyuki kissed the top of her head again.

They stayed embraced in silence for a couple of minutes-basking in the love and warmth that they had for each other. They wished that they could stay like this.. Forever.

However, Miyuki broke the silence first "Ne Ai-chan?... Even though I'm not mad, I have to ask.. Why did you lied to me? Why didn't you tell me that you were feeling ill again?" Miyuki asked looking at her. "I thought you trusted me." He said in a dejected tone. Miyuki knew that he didn't have the best personality, and that he was far from being the perfect boyfriend, thus making him insecure about the stability of his relationship.

"No no no no, it doesn't have anything to do with that." Ai quickly reassured her boyfriend knowing how insecure he can get sometimes. "I trust you more than anyone in this world baby, believe me. The truth is that I didn't want to worry you. For the past three weeks I've been feeling fatigued and lightheaded, but at first I thought that I was just stressed out because of school." She began explaining. "But then after the symptoms were still present after the first week, I got kinda scared because I thought that I was getting sick again and scheduled an appointment with my doctor to run some tests. I initially figured that telling you about this would unnecessarily worry you because first you are busy focusing on your recovery following your injury, and second I didn't know what was wrong with me. And that there was a possibility that in the end the doctor could've said that I was fine and was only lacking some vitamins, or anything benign like that." She desperately explained trying to show her boyfriend that she didn't have any bad intentions.