10. "You're all I have."

Bria

She had come home today. My mother stared me down as we ate the dinner I cooked, Forest stared at his plate.

"You have a boyfriend?" She asked out of nowhere.

"Wha- I-"

"Don't act dumb Bria, Mrs.Frederick told me everything. Including how she saw him waltz in my apartment."

"Mom we didn't do anything I promise! He had nowhere else to go...it was nothing."

"Sure. You better not bring no kids in here or I'll kill you and that baby."

I said nothing else and finished my dinner, Forest still hadn't eaten anything. He was always quiet and to himself when my mom was around.

"Somebody has a birthday coming up." My Mom said placing her hand on Forest's shoulder.

"My birthday was weeks ago. Bria got me an entire paint set-"

"Weeks ago? And no one told me?!"

"I did tell you Mom- remember when-"

"If you told me I would've remembered Bria! I can't deal with this shit...I'll be back tomorrow." My Mom said storming out of our apartment. The most assuring thing to me is that I know, she won't be back.

Chris

I sat in my room, staring at the wall. Being here with my dad there was so many things to do in the giant home, but I always found myself doing the same thing. Staring.

There was a knock on my door, before I could even tell the person to come in, the door opened..Alexander.

"Hey Chris." He said taking a seat on my bed. Why...

"Hey." I said quietly.

"Why you just in here looking at the ceiling? I mean you have a PlayStation...a tv..."

"I'm sorry Alexander. I'm just not used to having all of this."

"Oh it's alright, I know about where you came from. Aside from that, I came to ask you what should I cook for dinner tomorrow, since your girlfriend's coming over."

Fuck, I forgot about that.

"Oh, uh I don't know. She's allergic to nuts." I said shrugging.

"Got it. I'll make a casserole."

"We're black, Alex."

"Oh! Well I guess I'll make Alfredo? I don't know we'll see."

I nodded my head. I expected him to leave my room now, but instead he continued sitting on my bed.

"So..tell me about her."

"Bria? Oh she's smart..like, really smart. And she's selfless. Not to mention fine as f-- uh, very beautiful." I couldn't come up with a lie about Bria, so I told him all true things.

Alexander chuckled.

"I can tell you really like her..can't wait to meet her." He said before finally standing up and heading out of my room.

Bria

"Which one?" I asked Forest, lifting up two dresses. One being burgundy, the other black.

"Um..I like the black one..BUT."

"But?" I asked.

"I like the red one also." He said smiling.