Results!!!

“What is it?” Martin sought an answer from his disciple who was immersed in meditation under the shade of a big tree. Her eyes were shut, she was frowning and breathing deeply.
“I remember. You come here, every time you seek an answer. What are you finding?” Martin asked her.

“Master, I am asking myself a question. ‘Am I doing right?’” She responded  with  knitted brows and eyes filled with doubts. “I am lying to our king, playing with his rules just because of some gold coins.  I am an impostor, ain’t I?”

“Remind me of which rule you have disobeyed?” He stated firmly. “You might not be doing right, but I know, you are doing nothing wrong. You are doing it for a great cause, proving not only yourselves but every girl in the world.”

“But the way, I doubt, is right for the reason.”

“You haven’t chosen it. The kingdom has forced you to choose it. May the world know what a girl can achieve! Life is a winding path. Believe in yourself and your choice. Empty your mind and get prepared for today’s competition, you have to do your best.”

Steve, believing in his choice and his master, reached his destination where a big hurdle was waiting for his. His eyes began to search the coliseum as he had not seen his master since the last conversation but couldn’t find him.

That day, in the royal compartment only the prince was present. The queen wasn’t feeling well and the princess didn’t leave her place.  The king’s absence was, however, arousing anxiety.

“I, Daniel Jacob, the training master and the rightful heir of the Jacobland, welcome my beloved people and the three competitors in this competition. Before I apprise you all, about the challenge, I, on the command of the king, feel honored to tell you that the one, who will win the competition, will not only be rewarded with 10000 gold coins but will be entrusted with the prestigious rank of commander-in-chief.” The prince addressed to the people.

His last words pleased to the most people except to those who lost their chances.

“I can sense the excitement of everyone. But, today’s challenge is a secret which would be disclosed only to the three competitors, today.” The prince went on. “Tomorrow evening, our winner and the challenge will be declared publicly. Until then, the participants will stay in the castle. Thank you all for coming.”

The people made their way out of the coliseum with their low spirits. Steve was looking at his mother, as she was leaving and smiling to her to provide him the strength that he will be needing later.

He plastered a half-smile on his face in response.

The three participants were shown their way to their lodgings in the enormous castle.

It was nearly noon before Steve reached his room. It was a small room with a bed, a chair and with a window to look men working very hard to become knights on the training grounds.

He was just checking his closet, which was in the corner when he heard a knock. He checked whether he was looking completely he or not.

He opened the door and saw a man in armor with a scroll.  The man handed him the scroll and left immediately, giving no chance to him to utter something.

“That was weird.” She thought as she closed the door. She spread out the scroll and read it:

“To William Steve

   Throughout the competition, we have appraised your physical strength. Nonetheless, we yet don’t have much knowledge about your mental strength and that is what we are going to test in the last challenge. I want to check whether you will do the task assigned to you.

  You have to be a spy of mine and have to bring the royal stamp of our friendly neighboring kingdom, namely, the Arunciana Kingdom. You have time until tomorrow evening. Do as you wish as it is your last chance to win 10000 gold coins and to be the commander-in-chief.

Signed,                                                              Daniel Jacob,                                                        
Training master and the prince.”   

“So, my challenge is thievery.  I have to enter a big castle, of what I have no knowledge and search every corner of it and even if I were the luckiest, I will find it and steal a royal stamp and then as a coward, not able to openly face the kingdom, will hand that over to another coward, Prince.” He thought. “I will not do it. How can I? I can’t.”

“But...” He sighed as memories of her mother ran through her mind. He shut his eyes in anguish and went near the window. He looked out, where the prince was training the men.

“I have to do it.” He said to himself, while his tears ran along his smooth cheeks.  As soon as his eyes met with those of the prince, he drew the curtains and wiped her tears.
He left the castle and headed for the Arunciana Castle.

  The time arrived. The people have been summoned to announce the winner of the competition. People had gathered there with exceptional silence, waiting for the result.

However, only two participants stood in the middle of the Coliseum.

Steve searched for his master but the situation remained the same.  His mother was smiling and waving at her, to which he faked a smile.
Nevertheless, his smile faded shortly. She looked dejected.

“Today, we have gathered to meet our kingdom’s new commander-in-chief. But before we come to know about that, I would like to tell you what the challenge was. To evaluate each participant’s mind, I delegated tasks to each person, to bring the royal stamps from our three neighboring kingdoms. Meanwhile, one of the participants, namely, William Walters was caught and is imprisoned in Aburada Prison.” The price proclaimed.

“I would request to the two participants to come forth and show present the royal stamp in front of the prince.” The royal teacher addressed to the two.

“Your majesty, with great honor and pride, I present you the royal stamp of Xanderland, as you commanded.” Robert knelt and raised his hands, presenting a round golden stamp.

Steve closed her eyes and thought of his journey.  He had reached the castle’s entrance but there was something that resisted her to do it. She felt something that she had never left before. And she thought that it also wasn’t right.

“And you, Mister William Steve?” The royal teacher raised his voice. “Mister Steve?”

“Your majesty, I haven’t brought the stamp.” Steve bowed and asserted. Robert quirked on listening him.

“What makes you speak so confidently?” The prince questioned.

“I apologize, your majesty but in your letter, you considered the Arunciana kingdom as a friend. I cannot betray a friend, and I am sorry, but don’t suggest you too. Pardon me, your majesty. I am not a coward who would stab someone in the back for mere gold coins and a rank –”

“Enough.” The prince stood with raged eyes and bellowed. His roar shook the legs of the people with fear and pity for Steve.

“I am the one, with the authority to choose the winner and I choose.” He stuck his nose in the air and proclaimed, “I choose the one who has performed as I had expected from the winner.  He is the owner of 10000 gold coins and the new commander-in-chief mister William Steve.” The prince grinned.

The pity and panic in the people turned into confusion and content.

Hazel felt elated after hearing the name. Tears were running down her cheeks. But, her daughter didn’t seem to be pleased. Her gaze stood at the ground of the coliseum.

“Besides the king,  it is the commander-in-chief who takes decisions for the army. So, he ought to be strong-minded and decisive. He can’t rely on someone. I feel proud that Steve took decision which didn’t bring our relationships with the kingdom at stake.  However, we had already informed the three kingdoms about the tasks.  So, William Walters will be released with today evening. I would -”

Steve half-knelt and confessed. “Your majesty, I can’t accept the honor.”