'Don't worry, I did, more or less,' I immediately reassured Tommy. 'You're going to be okay. We're going to be okay.'

'Tommy, Aria,' Malcolm appeared opposite us, his face obviously contorted with mixed feelings. 'I got a message from reception that the SCPD swung by on account of double homicide. I think you better come with me upstairs, you must be so shaken up.'

Oh, but Malcolm's voice didn't sound caring or concerned, not really. And Tommy had also picked this up, the colour draining from his face.

'How could you do this, Tommy?' He yelled, completely shocked and angry at his son's actions. 'Sam was my friend!'

'I'm sorry, dad, I-' Tommy trembled, but Malcolm was now turning to rage.

'You can't kill a man in cold blood!' He carried on, seeing red. 'I know you hated his guts, but that doesn't make him qualify for death!'

'Malcolm, please, calm down,' I intervened, Malcolm actually listening to me for some reason. 'Your supposed friend had threatened us and you in a very recent meeting, and he wanted to take over Merlyn Global. He was going to take you down, friend or no friend, and he was going to make our lives awful.'

'That's why I did what I did, dad,' Tommy walked up to his father as soon as he really had calmed down. 'I couldn't watch him hurt you or Aria. I love you both too much for that.'

'I see,' Malcolm's voice had changed to a more reserved, happier tone. 'And I understand, son. I think I feel a little... Proud of your actions today.'

'Thanks, dad,' Tommy bowed his head as I watched this psychotic family communicate.

I guess I understood now why I fit in so well with them.

---

'So, who have we got to talk to today?' I asked Tommy as soon as I entered the office, trying to act as if nothing happened, as if everything was normal, as if Tommy hadn't murdered Samuel and we were trying to cover up the whole thing.

'Some international calls, a few standard businessmen, and...'Tommy stopped as he looked down the itinerary. 'Oliver Queen?'

'Are you sure it isn't... Typed incorrectly or something?' I tried to explain what Tommy had just read. 'Someone else, like, er, Olivia Dean?'

'I don't think any Olivia Dean is interested in seeing us,' Tommy told me, quietly laughing.

'Are you sure you didn't have a fling with some Olivia when you were that irresponsible young billionaire?' I suggested. 'Some girl I should be worried about?'

'Seriously, you're jealous of a fictional girl you created yourself?' Tommy was now properly laughing at me.

'I'm sure that's how authors with characters of action heroes and rich protagonists feel,' I commented with a shrug. 'I wrote a book once, actually. Well, I didn't complete it, but it was going to be the greatest revival of Sherlock Holmes the world had ever seen. Then the program Sherlock aired and I now kick myself every time I see how successful that show has become.'

'Why didn't you finish it?' Tommy questioned me, interested in my creative past.

'Time,' I answered vaguely, but really it was because Malcolm Merlyn hadn't had the courtesy to abduct my notebook along with myself when we first met. 'Anyway, enough about my sad end to writing, I really need coffee, like now.'