"Jace?!" asked Alec frantically. "He's back?!"

"Yes," Magnus said, looking surprised. "You haven't seen him yet? He said he was going back to the Institute in the morning."

"He was here last night?! What the hell Magnus, why didn't you tell us?!" shouted Alec.

Magnus threw up his hands. "I'm sorry; he said he didn't want anyone to know yet. Now at least come inside before someone comes out and yells at you." He ushered the Shadowhunters inside and closed the door. "Now, yes, Jace is back. He told me not to tell anyone. I thought he would have talked to you already, but I guess I was wrong."

Alec said nothing, but he glared at Magnus before moving to sit in a red chair.

"Sorry, he's a little moody today," Isabelle apologized. "Bad time of the month." If looks could kill, Alec would have brutally murdered her.

"I see. Well, what are you here for? I thought you would be off worshipping Jace for returning," Magnus said as he sat down on the couch.

"We need you to send a fire message to Maryse in Alicante. It's urgent," Isabelle said.

Magnus sighed. "I told you I was done being your pet warlock."

"We're willing to pay," said Alec, finally breaking out of his temper tantrum.

"Yeah, this is really important. The safety of the Nephilim as a whole is in danger," Isabelle added.

"Well, this sounds like and interesting story," Magnus said. "Why don't you enlighten me?"

"How can we be sure we can trust you, after what happened?" asked Alec, still with displeasure in his tone.

"Oh Alec, same as always. Just because I have no personal relationship with the Nephilim, doesn't mean I won’t help you. Now, what is going on?"

Isabelle proceeded to tell Magnus everything Raphael had told them. "We aren't sure if it's completely the truth," she added, "But it definitely demands the attention of the Council."

Magnus thought for a moment. "If what he says is true, then we have much to fear. Depending on the warlock, they may be placing binding spells on anyone who joins them, so they cannot leave their control. I'll send a message, but who do you want me to send it to? Your father?"

Alec and Isabelle looked at each other. They had forgotten Robert was in Alicante too. Now it made sense why Maryse had gone to Alicante herself to deliver the message that could have been sent just as easily by fire message. "No," Alec said. "Send it to Maryse."

"She's in Idris? Well, it's really none of my business. I will send the message. Now if you don't mind, please leave. I do have other customers you know." Magnus rose to get the door.

"Thanks Magnus," Isabelle said as she exited the door. Alec was right behind her, but Magnus stopped him.

"We need to talk for a minute," he said.

"I'll just wait in the lobby," Isabelle said with a smirk. Alec wanted to smack her, but he turned and walked back into the apartment. Magnus motioned for him to sit, and he returned to his red chair. Chairman Meow jumped into his lap, and Alec began stroking his fur.

"So what do you want to talk about," asked Alec, playing dumb.

"Isn't it obvious?" asked Magnus. "I didn't want to leave you, you know.”

Alec looked at him. "Then why did you? You can't even begin to imagine how much that hurt me."

"Believe me; it wasn't easy for me either. But you wanted to take immortality away from me, without even talking about it. I can’t let someone do that." His cat eyes look down at the fire blazing in the fireplace.