Chapter 18

The sun began to set by the time they reached the top, all panting heavily from the exertion of the climb. But their spirits did not drop, as they grew excited staring at the stretch of rock before them on the cliff. The company gathered around examining the surface carefully for any clues to give away the one entrance into Erebor.

"This is it, the hidden door," Dwalin grinned, rubbing his hands together.

A smile spread across the prince's lips, turning to address his companions and bring forth the key.

"And all those who doubted us, rule this day!" Thorin proclaimed. The company cheered.

"We have a key," the taller Dwarf stated, approaching the rock wall. "Which means that somewhere there is a keyhole."

"The last light of Durin's Day will shine upon the keyhole," Thorin agreed.

They watched and waited. And waited. And waited.

There were no signs.

"Nori," the prince spoke abruptly.

Quickly, the Dwarf moved towards the mountain side, tapping at it with a device and listening closely for any changes in the sound. Everyone grew nervous as the seconds ticked by and the sun sank lower on the horizon. It had Dwalin slamming his fists and shoving against the rock trying to force his way in.

"We're losing the light," Thorin said.

"Be quiet, I can't hear when you're thumping!" Nori exclaimed.

"It's not here!" Dwalin shouted. "It's not–!"

"Break it down!" Thorin ordered.

Without hesitation Bilbo and Poppy watched as the company rushed forward throwing their iron weapons against the surface with such strength one would think they were fighting Orcs.

"Come on!"

But the wall refused to bend to their advances, the attacks only seeming to do more harm to their own weapons as they chipped and broke. Poppy flinched at the sound.

"It's no good! The door is sealed," Balin declared. They began to give up, looking at the oldest Dwarf. "It can't be opened by force. There's a powerful magic on the door."

"No!" Thorin shouted.

He refused to believe it. This couldn't be happening! They had come all this way, had the Elves decipher the ancient language, and found the stairs.

"The last light of Durin's Day will shine upon the keyhole... That is what it says," the prince said. "What did we miss?" He then turned to Balin, appearing more lost than ever before. "What did we miss?"

"We've lost the light," his head shook. "There's no more to be done. We had but one chance. Come away lads, it's over."

"Wait," Bilbo spoke hastily. "Where are they going? You can't give up now!"

Disappointed, the prince allowed the key to fall from his hands.

"Thorin... You can't give up now," the Hobbit tried to reason.

Out of frustration, the prince shoved the map into the Halfling's arms. The Dwarves began to stalk towards the steps in order to descend from the mountain in defeat.

"Stop it... stop it!" Poppy ordered. Following his retreat, she shoved against the leader's shoulder to gain his attention, halting him for a moment and bringing his mind out of his shocked state. "Bilbo is right, you cannot give up!"