Chapter 6

There were no dreams, just a haze. Poppy found herself walking a never ending path. She never tired, as if searching for something. What it was remained to be undecided. Poppy only knew she had to keep going. Why didn't she call out? The Half-breed's shoulders shrugged, too lazy to speak. Why wasn't she worried? Well, Poppy wasn't sure what it was she was moving from. Why was she here? This time the young woman's movement paused to think. Being alone in this space a realization came to mind. Poppy didn't start alone. There were others. Who? Who? Who?

A Wizard.

Dwarves.

Bilbo.

A sense of panic welled up inside of the Half-breed, whirling around in the fog. Before Poppy could shout for them the surface below her feet gave way finding herself falling and being consumed by darkness. Everything suddenly came rushing back as the Half-breed's side slammed into the ground causing her eyes to snap open. Poppy couldn't see, struggling to move as well. The anxiety from the fog came rushing back struggling to breathe as the surrounding substance seemed to be suffocating her.

Poppy couldn't break through, thrashing about now in desperation before something began pressing against the cocoon from the outside. Air. It came rushing in as the material ripped away roughly. There were multiple hands coming through now as one gripped an arm and pulled the blacksmith free. Poppy gasped for air, coughing in order to refill her lungs as the free hand clutched at the limb that helped her out. For the first time since entering the forest the young woman's brain was finally thinking straight. Able to see clearly. It had been webs that confined them all, some of the other Dwarves dragging themselves free.

"Are you alright?" Poppy realized it was Thorin who gripped her tightly.

"Yes," her breath shuddered. Dwalin and Bofur then peeled away to help their comrades. "What happened?"

"I'm not sure," Thorin said.

"Bilbo!" Bofur exclaimed. "Where's Bilbo?"

The Half-breed's eyes darted around realizing he was nowhere to be seen. "Bilbo!" Poppy shouted.

A screech came from the treetops, their heads whipping up as giant spiders descended from the thick webs that surrounded the trees. Pulled to her feet, the blacksmith's hand wrapped around one of Thorin's daggers and threw it through the air. It embedded in a creature's skull that tried sneaking up on the prince, his head whipping around to see what the blacksmith had done.

"I'll get that back," she stated.

Removing the sword Gandalf gifted her from the Troll cave, Thorin followed suit cutting through a spider.

"Keep it!" he shouted.

With the numbers of their enemies every one of them needed as many weapons they could get their hands on. There seemed to be no end to the massive spiders as they ripped the creatures apart one by one.

"Mind your head!" Dwalin shouted.

Poppy ducked quickly. His ax went sailing overhead taking out a creature that swung in from behind. Something bit into the sole of the Half-breed's boot, hoisting her up into the air. Screaming in surprise she found herself lifted by a spider that tried to make off with her. Swinging the blade around in an attempt to cut free the sound of alarm drew some of the company's attention.

"Where's your bow?" Fíli shouted to his brother.

"I don't know!" Kíli answered.

It had been lost when the creatures kidnapped them. Ori rushed out from his hiding spot in the thick roots taking aim with the slingshot and fired. The rock hit the spider in one of its many eyes causing it to screech and rear back its head in pain. In the process the thing released the blacksmith. She landed roughly on the ground with a grunt as the air was forced from her lungs. Painfully the young woman rolled over only for her eyes to widen as the same spider lunged from the branches. With the discomfort in her chest there was no time to move out of the way. Poppy raised the sword in hand, running it through the creature's belly. It shrieked and withered about from the fatal wound trying to snap at the Half-breed's face. She tucked her head out of the way as its fangs and legs beat at the earth just above. This thing felt much heavier than the Wargs, the blade in hand the only thing keeping the spider from crushing her.