Prologue

The wind was howling, dawn was shining through the barrier.
Chara was the last human soul needed to break the barrier keeping the monsters underground.

They felt their travels weigh down on their back. Bloody wounds covered their body, and throughout the whole of the adventure there was one consistent sight.
Tired eyes — tired eyes that longed for an end, but until that end came, they were fighting.

The caretaker of the ruins, the mighty sorceress, the royal scientist, and now it was the king.

The king stood before Chara. Not too much taller than they were.

He wasn't dressed too formally. A simple cape guarded his skeletal body.
Chara looked down, observing their gray tanktop and black jeans.
Ripped, torn, and dirty.
It matched Chara's look,
Skinny, starved, and wounded.

Sans stood there, looking at Chara with blank sockets, before he smirked and held out a hand.
Chara countered the action by drawing out their knife, but red magic burned at his fingertips, and Chara suddenly was hoisted into the air, lingering there.

Chara was left to hover in suspense for a few moments, the scrawny child was high enough to say the fall would injure them.

Crimson eyes looked to Sans frantically,
"P-please S-"
Without the opportunity to finish, the child came plummeting to the ground with the assistance of magic.

Chara hit the tile ground with a shriek, feeling a pain engulf them.
It felt like they were breaking.
It felt like they were dying.

Up,
Chara tried to grab the ground as they were hoisted into the air again, and
Down,
They hit the ground with a gut wrenching crack.

Up, down.

The yellow tile broke.

Up—
And they froze.

"/hang/ on" the Skeleton King joked.

Chara's vision was fading out, the rim of their sight gradually getting darker.
Loosely dangling in midair, Chara saw Sans pull out a trident made of bone, and pointed the sharp end at Chara,

"sometimes I'd offer last words, but...
nah. there's no point. no one will remember anyways." sans lightheartedly joked.

Chara coughed, blood spluttering from their mouth.

Sans wore his permanent smile, and stepped aside,
"be glad you actually accomplish something in your life. judging by your looks — you're here for the same reason everyone else was. isn't this what you—"

Fire surrounded the area,

Through shock, Sans' magical grasp on Chara failed and Chara fell to the ground. They gasped and wheezed for breath.

A woman stepped onto the battlefield — the sorceress. Toriel Dreemurr.

This woman hadn't been much of a bother to Chara, but it was someone they saw often. The wife of the Royal scientist.
She mothered a son, a son in which Chara hadn't seen yet, and probably will never see.

Everyone feared her, because she was a boss monster. If anyone were capable of killing the king, or anyone in the underground, it was her.

"Do not kill this child." Toriel said, running to stand between Chara and Sans.

Chara could almost see Sans' pissed off expression, merely by his tone of voice.

"you have a lot of guts, tori. you're risking your respect, life, and position for the wellbeing of an enemy child." Sans glared at her.

Toriel narrowed her eyes,
"An enemy child is a child nonetheless. They haven't hurt a single monster." She defended.

Sans was silent, before chuckling,
"ever since you got that brat of yours, you've gone soft—
fine. take them away, on these conditions," he continued.
"you will surrender your position, you don't travel past Waterfall, and if the human dies or causes any trouble, you will have Asgore give its soul to me." he said.

Toriel tensed, before nodding,
"Goodbye, sire." She said, picking up Chara and slinging them over her shoulder, before she sprinted away.