Apology

Alex was soundly asleep in the armchair next to the crisp white  hospital bed while the television played in the background. The smell of antiseptic hung in the room, but was subtle, and a low hum irradiated from the air unit. A small plump lady with neat brown hair entered the room, smiling at the larger man, who had rested his head on the bed. 

"Excuse me, sir?" she questioned, gently shaking his shoulder, which quickly brought him out of the realm of dreams. 

"Hmm? Yes, what is it," he said lifting himself off the bed into a straight posture. 

"The Doctor said it was alright if you stayed, but its time for the patients cleaning."

"Oh, oh yes. Well, I'll just step outside then," Alex said, rubbing at his eyes before exiting the small room. 

The nurse quickly walked over to Simon, pulling back at his blankets.

"Ehh, nmm," Simon grunted, shifting slightly. "What is it?" he mumbled, still mostly asleep.

"Oh my. It's about time you woke up mister. That nice man's been here all night waiting on you, and as soon as he's out of the room you decide that it's time to get up!"

"What man?" Simon said, trying to pull his arm up to wipe at his eyes and rub his face awake. He was stopped by straps that ran across the bed and held him in place.  Simon struggled harder, realizing he was bound and confined. Soon he was thrashing in a panic, not used to being held so tight, and in extreme discomfort with the lack of self control.

"Simon. Simon! I need you to calm down. If you can calm down, I'll take off the restraints," the nurse yelled, trying to cut through the thrashing noises. 

Slowly Simon began to still, still twitching from side to side as the nurse undid the straps. His breathing began to settle, and he realized there was a burning on his forearms, and then he remembered why he was here. The nurse reached above the bed after unstrapping Simon, and pressed a small green button. Soon a man in a white coat and fuzzy grey beard walked into the room, looking at a Clipboard. He was followed close behind by Alex, who had two cups of coffee. 

"Simon, how are we today?" the man asked, coming to the end of the bed, where he hung the clipboard. Simon stole quick glances at Alex, but made sure to wiggle his way to the far side of the bed before Alex sat down in the chair once again. 

"'m fine," he grumbled. "When can I leave?" 

"I'm thinking you'll be ready to leave today, but it all depends on how well you cooperate, okay?" the man said, peering over his wire framed glasses. 

"'kay, let's just get this over with," he sighed.

"Now, we were able to dig up your records from your last visit, are you still living in the same address?"

Simon shook his head, looking down the bed towards his toes. He thought to himself if he actually lived anywhere. 

"For our next little chat, there are personal things we need to take care of. I think your friend should probably step out of the room for a moment."

"In and out," Alex said with a small smile. "Here, be careful, it's hot," he said, handing Simon the coffee before once again exiting the room. 

He closed the door behind him, taking a seat just outside of the room. His phone vibrated once, showing that he had received an email. It read:

"Master Aurich,

Please notify me of your location and circumstances by twelve today. Thank you.

Michal. "

Oh good, this was going to be fun to explain, Alex thought, quickly typing out a response before looking at his other emails. Then the sudden realization of where he was and why he was there came to his mind, and he turned his phone off, running a hand through his hair. 

"I really f**ked up this time," he mumbled. "

The door opened, and the backside of the Doctor showed through as he yelled one more thing to Simon. "And remember to take your medication with food." The doctor quickly returned to the nursing station where he grabbed a new clipboard and moved on. 

Alex made his way into the room, where the nurse was just messing with a few settings on a machine that stood next to the bed. Simon was hastily picking away at some rough spots on his hand, attempting to not make eye contact with Alex. The nurse walked out of the room, and Alex sat down in the chair next to the bed, where he looked at Simon, but was stuck on what to say. 

"T-thank you," Simon said, almost to quite to hear. 

"I'm sorry?" Alex asked confused. Why would Simon of all people thank him? The person who drove him to this point?

"The fact that you're here means you went out to look for me, which means a lot," Simon finally said, focusing his eyes on Alex. 

"Oh Simon, I'm sorry kid," Alex said shooting up to hug the smaller boy. "I did something horrible, something unspeakable. Don't you dare ever thank me again," Alex said, his faced pressed into the top of Simon's head. 

Simon simply sat there, staring ahead of himself, his eyes unleashing the pool of tears he had been saving up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's been a while. Hope everything's going okay for all of you. Also check out my tumblr. thingsineedtosayblog

-Takumi