Episode 4.9: The End

Sarah stared at the motionless Silva who, despite the rain, despite the wind, despite the DARK, he was still standing there.

And his hand was still bleeding.  He must have really messed something up in his hand.

Suddenly, there was a cloud of gold dust blown in his face from his left.  He reacted as if he was sprayed with pepper spray.  Collapsing to his knees, he covered his face with his hands and growled softly.

Paris jumped in front of the door as she looked at Silva triumphantly.  “Ha-HA!” she exclaimed.

“Paris!” Alice cried, “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine!  Tell the guards to open up the gates!” she replied, looking at Alice and banging on the metal bars, “We’ve got work to do.”

Bilbo raced to the desk and pressed a button, causing the bars to rise.

Paris yanked on the broken door, but it wouldn’t budge.  She put her face up to the hole and asked, “Did you unlock the door?”

He hadn’t.  Bilbo embarrassedly pressed another button, causing the door to buzz.  She opened the door and was followed by Tom and Loki.  London stopped to see if Silva was all right.

“Where’s Dune?” Paris demanded.

Banner pointed to the chair, the same chair that he had fallen asleep in.  Nobody had moved him.

She knelt beside his chair and gently shook him.  “Hey.  Dune.  Wake up,” she whispered, “We need your help.”

Dune wouldn’t wake up.  Fear not, he is still alive, but he is just too exhausted to reply to the plea for help.

“Uh, guys?” London asked, looking down the road, “I think I found Eden.”

In the middle of the four-way intersection stood a man in a long, dark coat.  He had his back to the apartment, but it was obvious he wasn’t there to help.  The wind, which was just barely blowing a few minutes ago, was now strongly gusting, dragging papers and debris along with it.

“That’s him?” Paris asked skeptically.

“Why?  You’ve got a problem with him?” London asked.

“No, he just doesn’t look… evil.”

“What do you need?  Lighting flashing, thunder crashing, or a loud, evil laugh?!” London asked sarcastically.

As if to mock her, lightning flashed and thunder boomed, rattling the windows on every building.

“Yes,” Paris mused, “I think I did need that.”

Silva lowered his hands and shook his head, as if he was trying to wake up.  He stood and looked around.  “What’s happening?” he asked.

“Ah,” London said, patting him on the shoulder, “Welcome back.”

“Back?  Where have I been?” he asked, cradling his injured hand.

“You might not want to know,” Loki offered, gesturing for him to come inside.

As he entered the building, Silva looked at his hand and asked, “What happened to my hand?”

“You kind of punched through the glass,” Alice explained, pointing to the shattered door.

He took a double-take at the broken glass and then glanced at his hand.

“Here,” Banner said, producing a bandage from his satchel.

London didn’t stay in the safety of the apartment building.  Instead, she stood and walked cautiously toward the man in the street.  By the time somebody realized that she was not where she should be, she was already halfway there.

“London!” Alice shrieked, racing after her roommate.  She didn’t have very far to run, though.  London had stopped and was staring open-mouthed at the man.

Alice was perplexed as to why London had left the building in the first place, but now she was even more perplexed as to why she stopped.  The wind was so strong now that it almost Alice lose her balance.

Then she looked at the man in the coat.  Her eyes bulged and her jaw dropped.

He was holding something in his right hand, high above his head.  It was red and it was pulsing.

Lightning flashed as she realized what he was holding.

He was holding a heart.