CHAPTER 14-Anilan

Start from the beginning

The children, as they age, overcome these old slanders and malice.

"She still remembers our names. Isn't that sweet?" The first one, Braid, grunted.

"Well, to be honest, I don't remember all of you," Nalina replied with guilty face. "But I do remember how we played together when we were kids. You know, I'm so glad to see you! So many memories are coming back right now! How have you been?"

"Not so good, little girl. Things don't go well in ... this particular neighbourhood of Lagad," Blond wiped the saliva with his sleeve. He coughed out the phlegm from his lungs.

"I can imagine," she said sadly. "If everything is the same as before ... People must be pretty poor."

"Nothing has changed. Except that ... our childhood friend has become a princess," Blond giggled unnaturally. "We don't even have to ask how's it going with you, huh? You wake up whenever you like; they wash you, they feed you, they cloth you ... Who wouldn't trade places with you?"

"Yes, um, well ... It can get a little boring," Nalina didn't want to talk about her new life, to compare them and herself. She wanted to hear about her old neighbourhood. "Also," a shade fell on her face, "Dad is not feeling well."

Miha shifted uncomfortably. The other two spat in the dust. "Yeah, we know," said the mousy-grey man she'd inwardly called Braid. "But that's because of what happened to him during The First Water War. When he saved the life of the former Leader? They hacked at 'im with stone axes to get to Gidenar. That's how old Milen got his legs disabled, innit?"

"Yes, that's right," Nalina acknowledged grimly.

"Meh, he did it for nothing. Now he is just a cripple in vain, and the ex-Leader lies forever in The Glass Dome," Braid snorted.

"Come on man, he didn't do it for nothing, Milen was smart. He became The Leader in his stead. The eternal gratitude, the reward for loyalty, blah, blah, blah. Gidenar screwed over his son. Fedum thought he was gonna inherit the whole thing. Milen skipped social classes, provided his own family with a better life," Blond shoulder-bumped his friend.

"Talking about family," they surrounded her, and she suddenly felt uneasy, "How's your brother?"

"Which one?" Nalina asked, trying to put at least a bit of a distance between herself and the trio.

"Borna," the Braid growled.

The manner in which they spoke her brother's name, full of contempt, gave Nalina a clear signal that something was wrong. She tried to dampen this strange feeling.

I'll just briefly tell them everything about him. We'll say goodbye. Then I'll go home as fast as I can, Nalina thought. "Things are going better for him. I think he's doing what he likes, since Dad ... I mean The Leader... Appointed him as an Overwatcher in The Arena. He is now supervising the practice of The Vigils and their War Dogs. He does a lot of stuff. I don't really know because we don't see each other so much. I think he's taking part in the selection of The Apprentices, too."

"One man's loss is another man's gain. I remember it like it was The Light Before. Borna was our faithful associate in reselling and smuggling water. And now? Now he pretends he doesn't even know us. He doesn't even say hello to his old friends. That's not nice, is it?" Blond walked behind Nalina's back.

Her brain worked rapidly. Borna, a water smuggler? So those rumours were true. I mean, he has his faults. He's a womaniser. Sometimes, he can be brash. But to commit illegal acts ... I can't believe he really did that.

The next sentence left her mouth out loud. "He wouldn't have done it. There must be a misunderstanding."

"You're so naïve, little princess,"Braid snickered. "You don't even know your dear brother. Yes, he was a water smuggler. But no, he won't abandon his friends. You know why?" he entered her face and dug his finger with a claw-like nail right into her chest.