Abandoned

Abandoned; it was the one word Sahara had decided described her perfectly.

 She let out a long sigh as she stared at the rain pelting against the window pane only to run down, seeking a path downwards as it merged with other drops to form long streaks. Moodily Sahara watched one particular drop, which seemed to miss the others and make its way down the window on its own. With another sigh she couldn't help but picture herself as that one drop, unable to connect with the rest.

 As usual Sahara had gotten up that morning and made herself ready for school. She had sat through classes, ignored the stinging remarks she got from some girls at school, and come back again with a pile of homework. All throughout it, she had not talked to a single person other than the lunch lady.

 It was not as though she didn't want to talk to people, to interact with them more, it was just that she wasn't sure how to. She had watched the other girls at school laughing together and talking about their everyday lives, and yet when Sahara thought about it, she had nothing to talk about. It was the exact same routine every day after day, nothing different, nothing new.

 With fourteen she had been the oldest at the orphanage. The others her age had already had been adopted or were all placed in foster homes. For Sahara that wasn't the case. The orphanage had tried foster homes for her and yet she had never been there more than a week before her foster parents would bring her right back to the orphanage. Their reason, she was too quiet, they couldn't deal with her.

 In the end, when she turned fifteen, she was sent to Heirlen Home. It was the place where kids too old for the orphanage, and who had been sent back from foster homes, stayed; the trouble makers. Some even already had criminal records and Sahara knew that Miss. Bloomington, the lady who ran the house, couldn't wait until a kid turned old enough to be kicked out and live on their own.

 There was a loud crash from somewhere behind her and Sahara heard someone swear. Voices yelled as tempers flared and there was the sound of scuffling. Someone let out a yelp and Sahara could not help but let out another long sigh. It looked like another fight had broken out among the others. It really was just like any other day.

 She sat up straighter. No, actually, today was supposed to be different. Miss. Bloomington had conveniently remembered to tell Sahara, the day before, that a couple would be dropping by that day.

 Apparently they had always wanted a daughter of their own and yet did not want to adopt a baby or toddler. Miss. Bloomington has said it had to do with them not wanting have to take care of all the needs a young child had. No, they wanted someone older, who was responsible to an extent. Someone who was not too big of a handful, and apparently Sahara fit.

 Behind her the voices rose even louder and there was a bunch of cussing followed by the sound of something making impact. Someone snarled and then there was simply a sound of scuffling, as though someone were fighting.

 Ignoring it Sahara continued to watch the rain. She still couldn't believe it. Someone wanted to possibly adopt her, at her age? It seemed too good to be true, and that was why Sahara didn't let her hopes get up. No, most likely these people would bring her right back after a week, a month tops. I the end she just wouldn't fit the criteria.

 The noise was interrupted when something shattered on the ground. There was a moment of silence before "now you've done it," sounded and footsteps could be heard tromping up the stairs.

 "What's going on up there!" Miss. Bloomington's familiar voice boomed.

 "Run," someone said before there was a stampede of feet. Sahara could just imagine the culprits attempting to make their escape. Too bad for them, Miss. Bloomington would find out who they were, she always did.