Wattpad Original
There are 5 more free parts

Chapter Two

Roux

"Thank you all for coming," Ysanne said, and Roux blinked in surprise. Usually Ysanne issued orders and expected them to be obeyed. She didn't think to thank anyone for obeying them, or imply that they that a choice in the matter.

Roux leaned forward in her seat, studying Ysanne more closely. Vampires didn't get bags under their eyes, or any other overt signs of exhaustion, but now that Roux was really looking, she could see that something was...off about the vampire Lady. Her shoulders, usually ramrod straight, looked ever so slightly slumped, as if she was carrying a great weight. It would be imperceptible to anyone who didn't know her, but Roux had come to know her, and she noticed it.

"These have been difficult times for us all, and I'm afraid the storm is not yet over," Ysanne said.

A couple of vampires shifted in their seats but no one looked surprised, not even the humans. None of them were stupid; they all knew that there was no way life could just go back to normal, not after everything that had happened. Bridges needed to be rebuilt, alliances reformed, and none of that came easily.

Ysanne opened her mouth to continue, then stopped, her eyes fixed on something at the far end of the room. Roux looked over her shoulder.

Isabeau stood in the dining hall entryway, looking as nervous as a vampire could. Her eyes darted around the room, settling on every face, before moving back to Ysanne.

For a split-second, Roux glimpsed a crack in Ysanne's icy mask, and then it was gone.

"We're all glad you could join us," Ysanne said to her former lover.

Isabeau silently slipped into a chair at the end of the table. She didn't meet anyone's eyes.

"This is where things currently stand for us," Ysanne said. "Our prisoners, both vampire and human, are still down in the cells. I know many of you are unhappy about sharing a roof with traitors, but for the time being I feel it is better to have them where I can keep an eye on them. At least until we know exactly what their future entails."

Anger flickered in her eyes at the mention of the people who had betrayed her, and Roux thought Ysanne would probably be happiest just executing the lot of them.

"I have been in contact with a number of Houses overseas, and they are arranging support for us. I expect European delegations to be arriving shortly," Ysanne went on. "They will help us pick up the pieces that Jemima and Etienne have left, but I must be honest with you all." She waited a beat, looking at everyone assembled in front of her. "Our future is uncertain. I have spent the last few days liaising with the Prime Minister, and two days ago she issued a press release, telling the human public exactly what happened here. Except for one detail."

Roux's ears pricked up.

"As you are all aware, some of Etienne and Jemima's newly turned vampires escaped the mansion the night of that final battle. They are still at large. The Prime Minister has decided that the best course of action is to keep quiet about this."

"Why?" Renie asked, and Roux silently echoed the question.

Surely the vampires had learned by now that lying and keeping secrets really wasn't a good idea. Then again, this latest lie obviously wasn't Ysanne's choice.

"When the Prime Minister first advised the press release, I was under the impression that we would provide full disclosure – including admitting that there are five enemy vampires still unaccounted for. Prime Minister McGellan had other ideas."

Roux wasn't much into politics, but even she knew that Jenny McGellan, currently serving her second term as PM, had a reputation for getting exactly what she wanted. In a weird way, Roux wished she'd been in the room when McGellan went up against Ysanne. That would have been worth seeing.