Chapter Eighteen

Moving aside as the elevator dinged informing me that someone was coming out I was shocked when I heard the voice I have been dreading to hear.

"Paul?" I heard Harry question, acknowledging the fact that he was seeing his former guard.

Avoiding him I walked further away from the elevator near the staircase I tried to block myself from his view ensuring that if he did turn my way only a small part of my back would be visible to him.

"I heard you quit. Is everything okay? What are you doing here?" He addresses with a strain in his voice causing him to sound exhausted.

"I'm fine, I was actually coming by to see you. I wanted to let you know that I was resigning in person." He confesses sounding so certain I knew my ex-husband wouldn't be able to see through the lies he was telling for me.

"Well, thank you mate. I would love to stay and chat, but I need to go get food for my father in law he's a diabetic. If you want to stay and chat when I get back I'll be here in about an hour."

"Sure thing, lad. Is he still giving you a hard time?"

"You heard about that? Honestly yeah, but it's not my fault everyone keeps jumping to conclusions and believing that snake. I'll tell you everything later." He insinuated leaving soon after as I heard the annoying sound of his boots clicking away.

Rolling my eyes all I could think about is what a snake he was. I wonder who he was talking about breaking my thoughts the guard spoke,"The coast is clear."

Turning around to face him I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding happy that I didn't see or bump into that jerk.

"Thanks."

Waiting for the next elevator I was happy to find this one empty. Pressing the button to the ninth floor I waited for what felt like forever to finally get to the top. Exiting the elevator I followed Paul as we got closer to my mothers hospital room. Silently praying everything is okay I stay a few steps away from him as I wait for him to distract the guards Harry had put here. When I finally enter the room my eyes follow the heart-breaking sound of my elderly father sobbing away.

"Daddy? Are you okay?" I spoke hesitantly as he turned around in shock.

"Jessie? What are you doing here? You must leave before that deceiving man comes back."

"I heard about mum getting admitted to the hospital and I had to find out what was wrong!" I explained looking at my mother who looked so pale while she slept. Wrapping my arms around him I gave him a humongous hug and sat beside him asking what happened in order to find out what was wrong.

"Your mother had a heart attack two days ago. That old friend of yours Eleanor came to visit and we thought she wanted to ask about you and your whereabouts. Turns out she had an affair with Harry and that's what caused your miscarriage. Which you obviously know about since you got your memory back right?" He started.

Nodding my head to say yeah I listened intently on how Eleanor said that Harry was planning on leaving me for a while, that he only stayed because of the baby and his reputation. As I started tearing up he continued on how Harry was hoping I wouldn't make it through the coma and that he planned to start a public relationship soon after my death. As Eleanor informed my parents my mothers heart couldn't handle the deception.

He continued on how Harry told them the reason I ran away was due to the miscarriage. He made them believe it was due to no one informing me on the issue. I told him that I knew about the horrible affair that caused the loss of my baby and that I had to leave. I wanted to stay with them, but I knew that would be the first place that monster would look for me.