Rebecca

Rebecca's facial expression was a mixture of shock, anger and disappointment all rolled into one. It was the disappointment that Jean found hardest to take

"It all makes sense now" Rebecca said as she walked past Jean. Claire was looking from Jean to Rebecca and back again trying to make sense of this extraordinary introduction "What do you mean Rebecca, what are you talking about? Have you two met before?" Claire pleaded.

"Yes, mother we have. Jean has managed to manoeuvre herself into my life recently – obviously trying to get a better view for you!"

"What?" – Claire was struggling to keep up with the rapid turn of events here "Jean, what is Rebecca saying?" Rebecca interjected "Oh come on mom, you know. You asked Jean to follow me to find out what I was up to?"

Jean was suddenly very alarmed at the direction this confrontation was now going. Somehow Rebecca had managed to turn this into yet another opportunity to criticize her mother! Jean interjected immediately

"No Rebecca, you've got this all wrong. Your mother had absolutely nothing to do with this. I made the decision to seek you out. I wanted to find more out about you in the hope that it would help me in my sessions with your mother. Claire had no idea at all - she wouldn't have been so open to you coming here if that were the case!"

Rebecca was mulling that last point over and calmed down a little. How strange it was that Rebecca was less angry with Jean than her own mother! It just seemed to Jean that for some reason Rebecca was looking for any opportunity to attack Claire. Rebecca then looked at Jean and said "and the letter, was it you who sent it?"

"Yes, I wanted to write a letter to your mother because she has made real progress in the way that she has pursued outside interests and reduced her level of contact with you – yet for some reason Rebecca you were implacable, unable to respond to your mother positively – I just felt Claire deserved something nice"

"Did you now? How unprofessional! Well I hope you know I will be taking this to the head of the practice here and..

Rebecca was cut short by the sound of her mother falling to the floor. Jean rushed towards Claire, feeling her pulse – she shouted at Rebecca "call an ambulance – I need to perform CPR on your mother".