Office Politics

Larin was trying but failing to type anything even vaguely comprehensible in her frantic text to Jean, the problem – her phone was under the desk upon which Gary was now loudly banging his fist. He had gotten rather worked up about the fact that Jean had left so quickly without letting him or indeed any of her clients know that she was going to be away. 

"I mean for God's sake, it's not the best way to start the day when I arrive here this morning to find Sam Duffy nearly breaking the front door down – the guy was in a complete state of abject panic. Jean hadn't even told him that she was going away!"

"What is going on with her lately Larin and why did she need to get away to Sacramento so quickly anyway?"

Larin hit send on her text and looked up. "She's having problems at home with Michael, you know that Gary, her domestic life is a bit chaotic at the moment, but that will pass. She'll sort it all out"

Gary looked sceptical and said "It's not just her home life though, is it? What's worrying me more is the growing list of problems and irregularities we are seeing with her patients! The mess with Allison being a classic case in point – I mean we've been down this road before with Jean, haven't we?"

Larin nodded her head in agreement but then added rather significantly "but Allison is back now and I know that Jean felt that they had made a genuine breakthrough before she left and honestly Gary, I don't think we can say with any certainty yet this situation with Allison is at all analogous with the Melissa case"

"OK, fair point - how was your conversation with Claire yesterday, I know she too was upset about Jean's unscheduled little break"

"Yes, but only because she wanted to tell Jean about another lovely letter which had arrived from her daughter Rebecca. In fact Claire couldn't speak highly enough of the work she and Jean had done together. She feels really strongly that her time in therapy with Jean has opened up a really healthy space where she and her daughter have been able to re-calibrate their relationship"

Gary pulled himself slowly from his chair like an old man with the weight of the world on his shoulders, he said "All right then, that's all for now. Let's hope that Jean will actually be here at our next meeting to discuss all these issues!"

As Larin got up to leave the room, she saw that her text to Jean had been sent. It had read:

"All hell breaking loose here –COME BACK NOW!!"