Chapter Three: Cameron

“I have to go now.” Blake said in disappointment. He was at the airport ready to fly out to his mother’s place in California. I was nervous for him, planes weren’t my thing. My mind would always come up with scenarios that might happen while he’s flying 300,000 feet up in the air.

     I heard a faint 'Flight 306 to California is now boarding' through the speaker of my phone. “Oh,” I mumbled.

     “Don’t worry, I’ll be back before you know it.” He tried to comfort me, making me smile.

     “Promise me something.” I asked.

     “Anything.”

     “You’ll text me when you land?” I heard him chuckle at my stupid question.

     “Of course Love. Don’t worry, everything will be fine. Okay?” He responded.

     “Okay, I’ll try not to,” I grinned through the phone, even though I knew he couldn’t see it.

     “Scarlet?” He sounded serious now, pleading.

     “Yes?”

     “I love you.” Those three words stuck to me. They always picked me up when I was down, and the best part of it was he meant it.

     “I love you too Blake.” I meant it too.

     The phone clicked as he hung up, and I lay alone on the hospital bed. Today was the blood transfusion for my Leukemia. I have never been without Blake for a treatment, so I was very nervous. I gnawed on my lip until I broke skin. The warm red liquid seeped into my mouth.

     “Scarlet,” The nurse knocked at the door, “Your father and brother are here to see you.” I nodded to let her know to bring them in. My face instantly lit up at the sight of my smiling family.

     “Hey Scar!” my brother exclaimed. Pulling me in for a tight embrace.

     “Hey Cameron! I’ve missed you.” I said, gripping tightly onto him. He chuckled and pulled me off him to let my father come and see me.

     “Hey Dad.” I smiled, opening my arms to hug him. He wrapped his arms around me almost instantly. I could feel him smiling.