He responded with a single nod in acknowledgement before bidding me a final farewell. "Goodbye, Amara."

"Au Revoir, Konrad," I whispered.

I would have no idea if he even heard me, although he raised his hand as he walked away.

It left me wondering whether or not he agreed to help me. Either way, I would be sailing home with or without his help. Although with his help, would be so much easier.

"Keep moving," a Lycan soldier berated. I felt a nudge in the small of my back as a sign for me to keep walking.

They led me through the main gates of the castle, allowing me to marvel in all its grandeur. The entire structure was made from grey stone blocks, each block was roughly thirteen feet long and six feet high. It was beyond incredible, and I wondered how on earth it was all put together, and if any methods other than brute strength were used to construct it.

As we passed through the main courtyard, dozens of Lycan soldiers stopped what they were doing to watch us pass. They noticed me in particular. Each Lycan seemed surprised to see me walking alongside the others of my own accord. Maybe Konrad was right; this was a rare occasion.

I was led inside the main entrance which was dimly lit with torches. The soldiers ushered me away so quickly that I wasn't allowed to fully appreciate it, but what I did see was a sight to behold. Enormous sculptures of Lycanthropes stood immortalized in stone, some appeared to be of them during mid-transformation from man to beast. The craftsmanship that went into sculpting these masterpieces overwhelmed me with awe. I couldn't wait to tell Petr all that I had seen so far. He would never believe all of this.

They led us down a spiral staircase that descended deep beneath the castle. I immediately snapped out of my revere the moment I was escorted into, what could only be described as a dungeon.

"Where are you taking us?" I voiced my concern.

The eleven other females were placed along the floor in rows. A sense of panic had taken over me as soon as I understood what was happening.

They were going to leave us in here!

"Where are you going? Wait! Don't leave me down here!" I cried as the door closed firmly, leaving me in the dark.

I pounded my fist on the solid iron door until my skin blistered, then sliding to the ground with defeat. I held my face in my hands as I began to sob with hopelessness.

Moments later, each of the women had started to regain consciousness. I hurried over to help untie the ropes that bound their hands and feet together.

"Parelz-Vous Français?" I asked one of the women if she could speak French.

"Dónde estoy?" she replied, asking where she was in Spanish.

I tried again, although I wasn't sure that they could understand my strong French accent.

"Do any of you speak English?" I asked, looking around. I was able to converse a little in English, thanks to one of the sisters at the convent.

Only three women raised their hands, and I swear, my heart sank to my feet.

"We've been taken to an island called Azkalar-Zar, somewhere in the middle of the Mediterranean ocean. We're inside the Lycan castle. The dungeons... I think. Please, those of you who can relay this information, please share it with others who do not understand," I requested.

The women in the room began to panic once they became aware of the situation they were in. Any attempt I made to offer words of comfort were drowned out by the plaintive sounds of wailing. What was I supposed to do? Lie to them? Either way, they would eventually find out the grim truth for themselves.

I couldn't make these women any promises that I couldn't keep. There was no way to determine the perils we were likely to face before the night comes to an end. I began to join in prayer with another, but my words felt hollow and meaningless as they rolled off my tongue.

My faith was waning. I began to realize that slowly over the past few months. I felt abandoned in my hour of need. The only person who I could truly rely on, in this current moment in time, was myself.

I stared through the barred window, deep in thought, feeling melancholy and full of self-doubt. I had no idea how much time had passed already. The sound of the heavy door being opened brought me to my feet and I spun around quickly, my pulse pounding as I waited to see who was to walk through the door.

I gulped, witnessing a lady with dark brown hair and caramel skin enter the room. She held an air of regal grace in the way that she conducted herself, dressed in a red silk gown like some fairy-tale queen. Her voice alone was as smooth as silk, and her words were calm and collected, yet she was careful not to display any sign of emotion.

"Welcome, my name is Carina. I mean you no harm. Come, follow me." She beckoned for us to follow her.

I felt compelled to obey as each of us followed her out of the room and along the torch-lit corridor. She turned her head slightly as she addressed us as a whole.

"Do not be afraid. I was once like you. I too entered the labyrinth, many years ago. Embrace your destiny. It will make your experiences more pleasurable," she explained.

We were then ushered through another doorway. I recognised it as some sort of bathing chamber. There were many copper basins filled with steamy water. Much to our surprise, there were extravagantly dressed women, who we were told, would help us to bathe. Some of the captive females became distressed at the thought of being assisted to bathe and cried out words of protest. I was used to bathing communally at the orphanage and co-operated without a fuss.

None of the women spoke to any of us, despite some of the captives pleading with them to help them escape. It was as if they were not permitted to interact with us, other than to prepare us for the night ahead.

We had all been dressed identically. They dressed us in white silk gowns that stopped at the knee, and white satin shoes. We were given a claw brooch; they pinned it to the left-hand side of our gowns, then styled our hair into neat braids.

A flash of metal caught my eye along the edge of the copper basin and I seized the opportunity whilst nobody was looking. Tucking the small shaving knife into the band of my underwear, at the side of my leg, I prayed that it would go undetected as I smoothed out my gown.

My heart hammered violently in my chest as we were led from the room and guided out into the grounds beyond the castle.

We walked a short distance, along the dunes, before coming face to face with the formidable entrance of the labyrinth.