I frowned, making sense of that information.

"You carried me?" I quizzed. "There was a beast, a monstrous beast. Where did it go? Is it here amongst us?" I asked, glancing around.

The thought of it being on board the ship, a few feet away from me, filled me with fear.

The young man's loud, booming laugh filled the cabin. His entire face lit up as if I had said something highly amusing.

"A monstrous beast, you say?" He grinned wildly at me.

"Who are you? Are you hired by the Lycanthropes to escort females back to the island?" I asked, wondering who he was and what part he had to play in all of this.

His pleasant attitude had put me at ease and I found myself able to relax around him.

"My name is Konrad, and no, I'm not hired by the Lycan's. I am a Lycan. This is my human form. And now that I've given you my name, it's only fair that you offer me yours?"

I managed a weak smile despite the situation. It was as if his laughter was contagious.

"Amarante, but people call me, Amara. So, you're a Lycan? Does that mean that you will be entering the Labyrinth, too?" I asked him out of curiosity.

He seemed pleasant. Nothing in comparison to the Lycan who greeted me earlier. Although, it had crossed my mind that I could be holding a conversation with the same one. He had found my comments rather amusing, after all, but I was relieved that no offence was taken at least.

His features relaxed into a more serious expression as soon as I asked my question.

"No, I'm not yet worthy. It is my brother's turn to enter the labyrinth tonight. Who knows what fate may have in store for you, Amara? Perhaps I will be fortunate enough to count you as my family by sunrise," he spoke with warmth and sincerity.

As he smiled it reached his eyes. I saw kindness in them, and an abundance of strength.

"I have no intentions of remaining on the island, Konrad. I mean to solve the labyrinth and return to the mainland with haste. My brother is sick and he needs me. There's no way I would forget him and leave him behind. Even if I have to swim the entire length of the Mediterranean, I will return to my brother. I made him a promise, which I fully intend to keep," I pledged, solidifying my commitment.

I swallowed as I held his analysing gaze. I was filled with determination and adamant to fulfil my vow. I saw his eyes soften as if they held an air of sadness, perhaps even pity. It didn't matter. I knew what I had to do, and I had nothing left to lose.

There was a noise from the top deck above us and Konrad turned to leave the room only to hesitate in the doorway. He turned to me with a look of compassion burning within his eyes.

"In the words of my mother: let us hope that fate is feeling generous tonight. Good luck, Amara," he spoke reverently before closing the door behind him.

At least he left behind the lantern. I was able to pull at the binds with my teeth, managing to loosen them. Finally, they slackened enough for me to remove them. Then I began to untie the ones at my ankles. Once I was free, I approached the female who was lying closest to me and attempted to wake her up. I tried doing the same to another, and then another, but it was no use. They appeared to have been drugged to make them sleep through the journey, leaving me angered as to why it was necessary to bind them in the first place.