Ch 7: Obstinate and Detestable

Hunter POV:

When I returned, having replaced my glamour and calming myself so I would not punch Phoenix in his rather smug face, I was shocked.

I could not have been gone more than ten minutes and yet there he was sitting at the kitchen table with the halfling.

And they were sitting very very close. Each of them holding a glass of something with petals floating in it.

She looked up as I walked into the room, "Hunter! Good you are back. Phoenix said you would both...explain things to me."

I looked at the unseelie as he took a long drink, "want some lemonade Sunshine? mortals seem to like it."

Violett wrung her hands worriedly as I sighed and sat opposite of her. I opted to ignore Phoenix, "Violett I know this must be difficult but we mean you no harm, you are the daughter of a very powerful fae and as you know your father is deceased."

She frowned a bit at that, "actually my mother and I didn't know what happened to him."

I went quiet, "I see...I am sorry to be the bearer or bad news."

She sipped her lemonade, knuckles turning white, "I didn't know him. Mom will be devastated though. She always likes to make up stories of what he may be doing now."

Phoenix watched her carefully, "then why tell her, allow her to live on believing he his living as he wishes."

She looked appalled, "is that what you would do? Withhold information information from your mother on the love of her life?"

The unseelie didn't even blink, "my mother is incapable of love, the situation would never apply to me."

She just balked.

I placed a hand over hers, "do not fret over what he says. The unseelie are cold uncaring creatures that rule over fall and winter. Their prince is no exception."

Phoenix just cocked a brow, "compared to the self righteous seelie court, feigning at good nature when you just as well as I are adept in tricky and charms to make lesser beings wallow in misery."

I grit my teeth, "no one is worse than you Phoenix."

"Unlike you I do not shy away from the nature of the fae."

"You enjoy killing."

"I am good at my craft. You pretend you have never done wrong in your life sunshine."

Violett was looking between us rapidly as we broke into bickering.

Or I bickered at him and he just nonchalantly brushed off my words.

Then violett cut in, "wait...wait can you two uhm stop for a second."

Phoenix sipped his lemonade, "sit your childish arse down sunshine."

I growled lowly at him.

"Guys. I have questions."

We both looked to her. I smiled encouragingly, "sincerest apologies Violett, what is it you would like to know?"

"Are you guys in some sort of race war."