Tara

Well my brother was certainly right, everyone was happy to see me. The instant that when we came up everyone stopped what they were doing to come greet me. I must admit, seeing them (in candle light) warmed my heart. Ridge set me down in the aquarium and I was able to hold myself up on the sides to talk as Breena held Maverick near me. Apparently it was close to three AM and none of them actually had a decent plan about how we were going to defeat the Deep.

“What I don’t understand” Ridge begun just as an argument was about to break loose. “Is how Auron plans to contact his half-breed army if they’re all on land and think that they’re human?”

“From what I understood” Alacreed responded. “When the Maverick is unleashed form the Deep, Shelly Town will be submerged in water and any merperson will transform immediately and painfully.”

Gregory continued his eyes not bothering to look up from his notepad as he drew my markings. “Because we’re from the Deep, usually our first instinct is to swim downer into the water, unlike you merpeople from the Upper Kingdom, you’d rather just swim around and explore the ocean.”

“When they arrive to our castle” Creed finished. “Auron will probably poison their minds with lies about the Upper Kingdom to make you seem like the enemy and give them a reason to fight against you. He’ll have the war he’d been waiting for.”

“Isn’t that a little unwise?” I cut in. “There’s going to be a lot of people outside panicking, so they’ll see the whole thing, we’ll be exposed. Not to mention the transformation hurts like hell so all the half-breeds will probably screaming, which will attract even more attention.”

“We already are.” Breena added stepping beside Ridge and giving him Maverick. “Policemen have been boating on the waters all day and all night ever since the attacks on the hunters. They have nets and guns and they are just waiting for one of us to come up for air so they can capture us and prove to the entire world that mermaids actually exist.”              

“So there would not only be a war between the Upper Kingdom and the Deep but we would also be fighting against humans.” Danicio completed.

I shook my head. We couldn’t let this happen, we couldn’t. But how could we stop it? “Greg, did you finish drawing our marks?” The boy nodded, looking at his work not bothering to say anything.

I let myself fall into the aquarium, my arms tired from supporting my weight. I looked at my tail. It truly was beautiful, unique as Taiven once said to me. I let my hand travel cross, my fingers tracing the markings. To think, up until now I only thought they were like a sort of decoration that made me seem more special, but instead this whole time they held the secrets to finding the Lost Kingdom. Me and along with everyone else in this room were the key to saving the Upper Kingdom.              

“So?” Creed asked when Gregory finally looked up.              

“This doesn’t make any sense.” He answered, throwing his notepad and his pen to the ground in frustration. “It’s just a bunch of numbers and letters.” He walked away in anger. Ridge gave me Maverick and hurried after the boy.

I watched as Breena picked up the Gregory’s work. I also watched as she grabbed the pen and walked to the kitchen counter and started writing something. The boys were now all together arguing about how they “needed a backup plan” and how Alacreed “knew this wasn’t going to work” and so on. I wanted to get out of the tank to see what the princess was doing, or maybe tell the boys to start acting like adults and stop arguing but sadly the bottom half of my body still wasn’t responding to my movements. So I just stayed in the aquarium with my son and waited for someone to notice me.