Nightmares

[Requested by @fallwithshelzba]

Roman squeaked excitedly as he looked over at Virgil who was currently dosing off beside him.

It had taken practically hours to convince Virgil to let Roman sleep over. Roman had claimed it was because Patton was all too keen to check up on him all the time, and of course it wasn't exactly a holiday to visit Virgil's room. In reality though, and Roman wasn't going to easily admit this, he just wanted to spend a little more time with the darker aspect. Though it wasn't as if they wasn't all too obvious by now.

Roman watched silently as Virgil's facial expressions would change depending on whatever was going on in his mind. It was interesting- and quite adorable, Roman might add. He couldn't help but notice how at peace Virgil looked. During the day it was all...doom and gloom. But now...now it was just Virgil- and the presence of Roman that is. But nonetheless, Virgil looked seemingly happy and unlike most days, his facial features were less tense, and the usual bags under his eyes were all but beginning to fade as the night dragged on, though they were sure to change back to a normal hue of grayish-black when morning hit. However, until then...Roman was content watching his Prince of Darkness rest; And he would have been content with this the whole night if it hadn't been for the disturbance.

A second before, Virgil had been sleeping soundly, Roman smiling with subtle as he himself tried to go to sleep. Then, all of a sudden, Virgil began twitching, his brow now furrowed and his eye-shadowed eye-bags beginning to darken once again. Twitching turned to thrashing, and previously quiet murmurs of sleep turned to mumbled, quiet whimpers.

Roman watched the bothered boy helplessly before finally acting. He gently placed his hand on Virgil's shoulder and shook him quickly, "Virg? Virgil? Virgil wake up...Wake up!" Roman hated to admit when he was nervous, but he couldn't deny that the boy was giving him quite a scare during this particular moment. He continued to shake him until a gasp escaped Virgil's lips, and he shrank down before shooting towards Roman instinctively, with Roman gladly and acceptingly wrapping his arms around the trembling trait.

Virgil didn't even notice, or put together, who was holding him and why, sleep was thick as fog in his mind for him to truly comprehend what Roman or himself were doing. He just felt safe, and warm, and wanted nothing more than for this feeling to last forever, and he wished it could- but of course...of course it couldn't.

Virgil was roused from his thoughts at a gentle murmur from above him, and that's when he put two and two together. He suddenly realized where he was, what was happened, and who exactly was touching him. It was like he hadn't felt Roman around him before this second and all of a sudden he was buried in the other's chest, the soft shirt fabric that was pressed up against his cheeks and, oddly enough, Virgil found it quite comforting. Though, he didn't make a sound as Roman continued to talk, as to make the other think he was now asleep and give him an excuse for not moving in response.

"...rgil was it a nightmare or what?" Roman frowned, holding Virgil closer.

Virgil was quiet for a moment before giving up," Yeah, I️ mean...I️ guess...?" He stayed sandwiched in Roman's arms. If anyone were to ask he'd simply say that Roman's grip was too strong the moment and he personally didn't consent.

"Wanna' talk about it?" Roman frowned.

Virgil shrugged slightly, "I dunno'..."

"Yeah, you dunno'." Roman pressed his cheek on the top of Virgil's head.

"Nightmares are just stupid dreams that get messed up, you just have to suck it up and move on." Virgil shook his head.

"Virgil, I want you to know that I care and that that's why I want to know." Roman began rubbing small circles onto the other's back.

Virgil flinched, he didn't mind the comfort, it was simply his vulnerability, "That's the problem...you would care." Virgil sighed out with a small, helpless chuckle that wasn't amusing.

"And what's wrong with that?" Roman inquired.

"...You,"

"I see..." Roman nodded, "It's still quite alright, I assure you."

"It's just that..." Virgil took a deep breath, as he felt the familiar beat of his personal anxieties filling his chest, "Do you...Do you still hate me...?"

Roman felt a large portion of his heart break, "What do you mean...still?"

"Roman, the first thing you said to me was that you didn't like me and that you hated me...and you've literally said it multiple times." Virgil shrank down in guilt and harm.

"If I hated you, would I be right here, comforting you?" Roman leaned back to look at Virgil with a small, meaningful gaze.

"I...suppose not, but- even Logan is nice on some days." Virgil gave a half smile.

"Oh, hush. Let's not be as bad as I used to be then, hm?" Roman grinned.

Virgil frowned once again, "Why did you say that, by the way?"

Roman bit his bottom lip in consideration, "Well...I suppose it took me some getting used to- I guess I'm not that accustomed to one pulling off make-up better than me."

Virgil snickered, "Nice excuse."

"But, it's not! Maybe I envied you just...a tad bit..." Roman shrugged.

"You envied me?" Virgil snorted in disbelief, "You're the dreamer though,
I wish that I was you."

"You don't give yourself enough credit, Virgil. Without you, Thomas would be an arrogant little..." Roman shook his head, "Technically I'd be insulting myself as much as I'd be insulting Thomas; But either way, you get the point."

Virgil nodded, "Yeah...I guess..." he sighed before deciding upon snuggling back up to Roman, though mentally noting that it was simply a muscle spasm, duh, that made him move closer, not desire, of course not, "Now let me fall asleep so I can at least claim that I forgot any of this happened."

Roman chuckled, "Oh please, as if I'd ever let you live down the fact that you- Anxiety- Virgil- of all people- needed some comforting." Roman grinned, but Virgil was already asleep- or at least, so it seemed. It didn't matter too too much to Roman. So long as he remembered...well, that would work just fine for him. And besides, Roman was sure he'd be able to sleepover a lot more often than before.