Chenry #1-Life and Love

Life

She sat down, staring at the sky. He hesitated, but eventually went up to her, and sat down next to her. She didn't look his way, she kept her focus on the star-filled sky. What is she thinking, he thought as he looked around at the scenery around them. It was a meadow filled with yellow marigolds, and purple lilacs. Right across from it was a blueish green lake that perfectly reflected the moon's full glow. He watched as lily pads lazily floated across his the lake. The whole meadow was hidden by four large moss ridden trees, and two large square bushes. He realized why she loved this place so much. It was quite, isolated, and so very beautiful. For the first time that day, he looked over at her and saw her. He saw how the moonlight made her teary eyes sparkle, he saw how perfectly her curls feel on her shoulders, he saw how smooth her skin was, he saw how sharp, yet feminine her jawline was. He saw her. He looked away, and waited for her to talk to. After about an hour of silence, she finally spoke. "Henry," she said, her voice shaking. He could almost feel the frog in her throat.

He turned his head toward and asked, "yeah?"

"What's the point?" she asked, sounding completely defeated. His heart sank when he heard the brokenness in her voice.

"What do you mean?" he asked, knowing exactly what she meant.

"What's the point of living, when life is filled with disappointment? What's the point of trying, when we're all going to end up in the same place? Henry, What's the point of it all? What's the point of life?" She asked. She knew he wouldn't be able to answer all of her questions, hell, she knew he could barely answer one of them. She just hoped that he could help, in any way possible.

"I don't know Charlotte," he said. He looked down at his friend, who now rested her head on his shoulder, he could see the disappointment written all over her face. "Maybe we're not supposed to know, maybe we're supposed to live life without question. If we live life worrying about the point of life, we'll spend too much time looking for a point instead of living the life we were given." He hoped what he said helped a little.

"So, the point of life is to not focus on a point. That sounds pretty, well, pointless."

"Maybe life is pointless, and we have to find our own point in life. Our destinies aren't written, because we don't have one, we have to make our own destiny, then make it our life's work."

"What if you complete your life's work before you die?"

"Then you try to find a new point."

When he saw the small smile grow on her face, he knew he had accomplished his goal.

"Where'd you get all that from?" she asked moving close enough to him that their bodies touched. He smiled, and wrapped his arm around her waist, bringing them even closer to each other.

"I kinda just...pulled it out of my ass," he said with a chuckle. She chuckled lightly. They sat there in comfortable silence. Their arms leaning against each other's back, her head resting atop his shoulder, his head resting atop her soft, large curls, both just looking off into the night sky. They didn't move or speak for hours, enjoying each other's presence, as they watched the stars dance in the sky.

Eventually, Charlotte started to stand, "I think I'm ready to go," she said hesitantly.

"Wait," he said, reaching for her hand. She looked down at him, as he was still sitting on the flowers and grass, "can we just stay like this? Just for a little longer." She smiled at him, grabbed his hand, and pulled him up. He sighed as he followed her out of her secret meadow. They started to walk back to Henry's house in silence.