"And bring the jacket!" He warned.

With that, he left and I shut the door.

"I have to get going to work. Oh, and next time, let me know if you're planning on leaving the house so early." My mom said. I walked up the stairs and got in the shower as the front door shut.

As promised, ten minutes later, Nick was here. He pressed on the car horn as I finished sticking my foot into the shoe. "I'm coming, jeez." I muttered.

I opened the front door and stepped outside. The sun was shining strongly down on me now, a drastic difference from just an hour ago when the sky was still dark. I took a second to breathe it in.

Nick's black convertible was parked right on the street. He had the ceiling down and was drumming his fingers on the steering wheel, wiating until I got in the car. His hair glistened, damp from the shower he had just taken. It looked darker like that, more of a chocolate color than when it was dry. From first glance, I saw Nick wearing a dark denim button-down and black jeans, paired with dark sunglasses. I scowled. Although I didn't want to admit, he looked hot, which kind of pissed me off. No wonder he acted the way he did. Everyone worshipped the ground he walked on.

I got in the car, managing to avoid opening my mouth as I gazed at the beauty of the car once again. "Okay, let's go."

He looked at me, not moving the car, his hands still on the wheel. His face remained expresionless. "What? We're going to be late if you don't move the car." I asked, suddenly feeling self conscious. Did I have something on my face?

"Where's my jacket?"

I breathed out. "Sorry, I forgot. I'll give it back to you later."

"Sammi, I know you're dying to have something of mine to remind you of me," he said empathetically. I rolled my eyes. "But this car isn't moving until I get my jacket back." He grinned sarcastically. It was like he was more of a jerk in the daylight.

"Are you-" I groaned and stepped out of the car, shaking my head as he laughed.

I walked in the house quickly, found his stupid leather jacket he'd lent me when my shirt was ripped and took it.

"There, happy now?" His mouth broke into a sly smile when he saw me dangling the jacket in front of him.

"Ah, I missed you." He said angelically as he felt the leather, slowly easing it on over his denim shirt. I think I snorted.

"I bet you're one of those guys that names his car, too."

"Hey, don't disrespect Cadence like that." He said. "She didn't mean it, baby." Nick ridiculously patted the outside of the car door. He gave me a look, and nodded his head. I understood then.

I laughed, I couldn't hold it in. This was ridiculous. But I sighed and patted the car as well. "I'm sorry, Cadence."

He grinned, flashing his signature pearly white smile. "That's more like it."

The engine growled and we finally moved. I looked at my watch one last time, hoping we wouldn't be late.

We pulled over, and I watched as dozens of kids made their way into the bright school, some wore expressionless, tired faces. But many wore smiles. I wondered how many of them were actually real, and how many were rehearsed; a mask plastered to their faces each day.

I was lost in thought when suddenly Nick opened the car door for me. "What a gentleman." I grumbled, he chuckled under his breath. I had to listen close to hear it, but it was there.  I stepped outside as he waited. His hair was in messy waves, dried by the warm breeze and sun.

But as soon as my feet hit the ground, I could feel it. The stares. The endless stares.

Everyone had turned to us, watching closely as the strange girl with ripped jeans and a black crisscross shirt on stepped out of Nicholas Carter's car. As we walked, girls started whispering to each other. My eyes darted around, landing on different curious eyes staring back at us. I felt my throat closing up. Why were they staring?

Nick breezed by, not noticing or bothering to care about the people watching. Of course he was used to this. But I wasn't. They were probably wondering what a girl like me was doing around him.

I tried, I really tried to shake this queasy feeling forming a knot in my stomach, but it wasn't until I walked past the cheerleaders in their cute blue skirts when the stares turned to glares. "Sam." Taylor and Emily were among them, Emily holding books in her folded arms, watching me like a hawk as her slim friend discreetly whispered something to her.

"Sam." The voice said again, and I whipped my head to Nick. "Your locker. It's here." He eyed me wearily with a scrunched brow, confused. Of course he didn't know what was going on. How could he understand?

"Right." I breathed out and opened my locker. The bell rang. When I turned to him again, he was already gone, blended in with the packed hallway until I was left alone with the sound of my racing heart.

-----
Don't forget to vote and comment for more <3