Chapter Forty

"I think you're good to step out in public, sir," Ivan says as I finish covering the bruises and scars on my face with a pale foundation Mia gave me before she left for The Fountain.

I shake my head, smirking. "You'd think this many years in public service that I'd get used to wearing this crap." I set it down and stand, adjusting the black bowtie on my classic tuxedo.

"I wanted to inform you that Sylvia and her brothers were found this morning. They were hiding out just a mile down the road from Nicole's home," Ivan says. "I need to know what needs to be done with them."

My life since we arrived back has been surrounded by what happened in France. Forcing Nicole's family into silence, cleaning up the mess from the hotel in Paris, explaining the situation to the President of France, searching for the girl and her family that served as accomplices in my attempted assassination. The security has been amped double it's usual standing, around the clock. The news of Sylvia Wilson's capture is good news, although what I have to do with her is not. Nicole's murder was staged to look like a suicide and made world-wide news. I cannot have any loose ends.

I breathe in, steeling myself for my next words. "They need to disappear."

"How should we do it?"

"Quick and painless," I utter, walking to grab my phone. "And separately. They killed ten of our men. I cannot pardon that kind of crime with a jail sentence but I can make sure they don't see their siblings die alongside each other."

I glance at Ivan, pressing my lips together. "I truly hate to ask this of you-"

"You want me to do it," he murmurs, already one step ahead of me. I nod and he does as well. "I will make sure it's done."

"I know your job is my advisor, but I have truly no one to trust around me anymore. I'm going to have to put the entire staff through detectors and tests to find out their true alliances if I'm ever going to be able to sleep here soundly again."

"I will always do whatever is needed to serve you, Henry. I will make up forever what happened in France."

"What happened in France was not your fault, as I've told you multiple times now. Sylvia was a traitor long before you employed her to Nicole's service. This vendetta was around when Richard was still King."

"She was always around when needed, always willing to go the extra mile- and incredibly meek. I thought it was a perfect choice for Nicole."

"We will face many more manipulators like Sylvia and Nicole while we're here, Ivan. You know you are like family to me. You've proved your loyalty far more than a few times- I have not forgotten that."

He exhales with relief, the tension in his shoulders easing a bit. I pat him on the back, sighing.

"Now, let's go hear my wife sing."

...

"You are going to stun us all!" Octavio exclaims, clapping his hands together with excitement. I pull up the white gloves to my forearm, smiling wide. I forgot what pre-performance jitters feel like. They're upon me now, powerful as hell.

He and Arnold are standing my the door, pleased by how full The Fountain has become tonight, far past sold-out. There are over a dozen reporters here to record it all, so that the world may see the moment where the Queen of England either amazes or screws the pooch. I truly hope it's not the latter.

Over the intercom someone asks for Octavio to come to the bar. He groans, rolling his eyes.

"Jesus, this place is a madhouse!"