The Time At The Field

It wasn't uncommon for Arla to travel around anywhere with her best friends. However, it was unusual for her to go to Jonah and Sarah's grandfather's farm for longer than a couple hours let alone two whole days. But Arla's parents were going through a rough divorce and needed their sweet, little daughter to stay somewhere.

So that's how she ended up in the rural area of Minnesota at a little farm house with Sarah for the weekend.

"Hey Arls? Do you think you could pick some flowers out in the acres for my grandma? I'm helping granddad and Jonah was supposed to do it but he hasn't come back yet." Sarah asked her best friend who was sitting at the coffee table with a 500 puzzle piece box opened, the contents sprawled out in front of her.

"Of course Sarah-Bear. Do you want me to just pick them from off the trail we made last time?" The brunette nodded in response and with that Arla stood and made her way out the back door of the little, red farm house.

Following the fading dirt trail into the seemingly never ending fields, Arla picked up all kinds of different flowers along the way. Her soft, harmonic voice her only company.

"Some days I'm broke, some days I'm rich. Some days I'm nice, some days I can be a witch. Some days I'm strong, some days I quit. I don't let it show, but I've been through some things. I can swear, I can joke. I say what's on my mind. If I...if I..." That was the line the black haired young beauty always seemed to get stuck on. She sighed and let the bouquet of wild flowers fall by her side.

"Holy shit you're a good singer." Arla jumped, startled, dropping the gift of flora as she turned to see a brunette boy sitting against a giant willow tree. She placed her small hand over her heart and walked over to Jonah.

"You shouldn't curse." She said softly and the fifteen year old boy chuckled.

"You just sang about how you could do it, so why can't I?" He smirked and watched as Arla's cheeks heated up instantly.

"Well...you weren't supposed to hear that so..." She trailed off and awkwardly bounced on the heels of her feet. Suddenly she remembered the whole reason for her being out her and ran back down to the trail. She let out a breath of relief when she saw that - besides the occasional flower doused in dust and dirt - the bouquet was fine. She walked back to the confused and intrigued boy lent against the tree and handed him the flowers.

"Awe you shouldn't have A." Jonah smiled cockily and the girl bent down to her knees so she could slap his exposed shoulder.

"There for Ruth asshole." Arla heard her friends breath hitch as she mentioned his Grandma. He became quiet and held the flowers to his chest, looking out over the acreage of the family property. "JoJo.."

"What?" Jonah sniffed and faced away from his girl. She sat beside him and lent her head against his shoulder, opening her mouth to ask something that had been resting on the tip of her tongue since she saw Jonah.

"Why-"

"I hate accepting the fact that she's gone." He cut off her questioning knowing what she wanted to ask him. The air around the two kids became thick and silent. "That's why I wont pick her flowers."

Arla said nothing as she looked out at the nature around her, letting Jonah's sad confession sink in. She exhaled softly and readjusted her head on him as he put down the flowers she had picked, admiring the different plants. "I used to come here with gran. It was like...oh man this is gonna sound so bloody lame, but...this tree was like our own special hide out. I always felt like Grandpa favoured Sarah so gran named this our spot to hang out together."

"That doesn't sound lame at all JoJo." She grabbed his face and made his green eyes connect with her dark brown ones. He looks at her petite face for a second longer before smiling and shaking her dainty hands off of him.

"Whatever." Arla sighed and watched as he turned to look out at the open, grassy area. She also began to notice little things about him. Like how his brown hair would flow and fly different ways depending on the wind, or the way his black muscle tee seemed to perfectly frame his young teenage body yet show of his prominent biceps and growing abs. "Hey A could you sing for me?"

That brought her back to reality.

"I really don't think that's a good idea. I'm not even that good.." As hard as the 14 year old girl tried, Jonah just wouldn't listen to her excuses and continued asking her to sing for him.

"Okay, at least sing what you were singing before." He eventually complied with her and she sighed, something she seemed to be doing a lot of whenever she was around the boy who made her heart beat incredibly fast.

"S-Some days I'm broke, some days I'm rich. Some days I'm nice, some days I can be a witch. Some days I'm strong, some days I quit. I don't let it show, but I've been through some things." Arla took in a deep breath and closed her eyes, no longer feeling nervous and forgetting Jonah was even there as she sung her heart out. "I can swear, I can joke. I say what's on my mind. If I drink, if I smoke. I keep up with the guys. And you see me holding up my middle finger to the world, keep your ribbons and your pearls. Cause I'm not just a pretty girl."

"Once again, holy shit." Jonah breathed and ended the video he had taken of the girl with the flawless voice. But he wasn't fast enough.

"No!" Arla squealed leaping forward landing on the boy and knocking his iPhone 4 out of his large hands. "Delete that please."

"Nononononono listen," Jonah propped himself up onto his elbows, Arla's arms on either side of the annoying boy. "If I delete that video, then you'll never get to write down the rest of the song you made up."

"How do you know I wrote that song?" Arla cocked her head to the side and Jonah licked his lips before smirking.

"You don't think I read your diary?" Arla gasped and began to repeatedly punch Jonah's abs. The boy laughed as he felt absolutely nothing and simply pushed her back picking up his phone off of an ant hill. "In all seriousness though, you should sing at the talent show for school."

"The Bi-annual one?" Jonah nodded in response causing Arla to laugh. "Do you even know what bi-annually means? Bro that's not till the end of next year."

Jonah shrugged and lent back on the tree again watching as his favourite girl in the whole world giggled. He placed both hands behind his head and put one leg over the other. "So?..."

The girl smiled and shook her head, picking herself up off the dirt and brushing her red paisley jumpsuit off. Arla plonking down against the tree next to him and once again rested her head on his body. "Maybe JoJo...only for you."

Jonah thanked her by wrapping his arm around her shoulders and letting her cuddle up against him. He didn't let her see his quick glance down at her lips, telling himself it was wrong. And that Daniel had already called dibs on the girl under his arm, making him even more protective over her and her heart.

Until it was almost sunset and obviously time to go back home, that's how the two teenagers spent the rest of their day together. Cuddling under Ruth's willow tree and either talking about complete bullshit or their plans for the future.

Cuddling wasn't unusual for the two. What was unusual was when they did eventually walk back, Jonah's arm stayed wrapped around Arla's thin waist and held her hand in his free one.

Neither spoke a word on the walk home as they were afraid they'd ruin the moment, so that meant that they got to hear Sarah's excited squeal when they were in view of her bedroom window. She was very set on Arla becoming her sister.

However, even at 14, she still didn't know that it doesn't quite work like that.

==========================

1430 Word Count