Jesse's POV (5)

Depuis le début

"Well, they're busy at the moment. So I guess all you have is me," I replied with the usual smirk. How hasn't she slapped me yet? I've been annoying and hurtful, yet all she's done is scoot away from me.

"I hate you."

What she said hurt more than a slap. The smirk dropped from my face and I thought I was about to fall to the ground. She's never told me she's hated me before. I'm sure she thought I just assumed, but it hurt actually hearing the words come out of her mouth. My heart was aching, but I couldn't act like it was. I had to act like I'd be used to her saying it.

"Hate's a pretty strong word, Emery," I said It was all I could think of. What was I supposed to say to her? I'm sure I'd throw up if I tried saying anything else.

"I know," she responded, looking as serious as ever.

"Oh yeah?" My eyebrows raised on my forehead. "And why do you hate me so much?"

It took a split second for Jordan to come up with her reason. "It's your fault that Dallas used and ditched me back in freshman year," she snapped. "It was your fault because you had to tell him that I liked him after you overheard me telling Lexi."

I remember that so clearly it's unhealthy. Jordan didn't tell Lexi she liked him, she told Lexi she loved him. The only reason I didn't tell that part to Dallas was because I didn't want to embarrass her even more than I already had.

Jordan continued speaking, tears building up in her eyes. "You had to tell him in front of everyone and get everyone to laugh at me. Sure, Dallas asked me to his prom. But the second his girlfriend said that she wanted him back, he ditched me. It's all your fault. Everything that's bad in my life is your fault!"

"I don't think that everything that's bad is my fault," I defended myself. She lifted her hand and smacked me against the arm. Physically, this girl couldn't hurt me at all. Emotionally, she could. And she was doing a pretty good job of that.

"It is," she snapped again. "What happened with Dallas wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for you. Jeopardizing my future wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for you. We wouldn't be at this stupid camp if it wasn't for you!"

"If it wasn't for me, your life would be boring," I rolled my eyes. "And you wouldn't have gotten to see that old friend of yours again. You know, the Brian guy or whatever."

"His name's Ryan," Jordan corrected me, narrowing her eyes. "And my life wouldn't be boring without you. It would be better."

I rolled my eyes once again, crumbling inside even more.

"Am I really that annoying to you?" I asked, not really sure if I wanted to know the answer. Still, I kept a smirk on my face. As long as she thought I was okay, it was fine.

"Yes," she answered flatly.

"Really, now...?" I took a step closer, not having control over my actions. I wanted to touch her. Jordan's breath caught in her throat, and she looked like she stopped breathing. "Am I really that annoying to you?"

She didn't move a muscle, and I was in too much shock by my own actions to stop myself. My lips were so close to hers. Just one more inch and-

The cabin door flew open, causing Jordan to jump and turn around. When she locked eyes with Dallas, I knew she was as surprised as ever. Dallas just blinked. "Things sure changed since I left."

I put my arm over Jordan's shoulders. "Sure has," I shrugged.

"What? Dallas, we're not-" Jordan began talking, but I cut her off. Maybe if he thought we were dating, he'd stay away. I could tell by the way he looked at her that he wanted her.

"Don't lie, Jordan," calling her by her first name was different. "He should know, shouldn't he? I think he has the right to know."

Dallas continued to just stare and blink. "How long have you two been going out?"

It was a good thing Jordan was too scared to speak, because I could do all the talking. "Since right after you left for college."

He blinked once again. "A lot really has changed. I remember when you two would go chasing each other trying to rip each other's hair out. I guess when you tease someone, it really does mean that you like them."

He had no idea.

I looked over at Jordan who stared up at me in surprise. "I guess it does," I said.

Jordan shook her head and screamed, "We're not going out!"

Thinking fast, I held on to Jordan tighter. "You always tell people that, Jordan. Are you that embarrassed to be seen with me."

"Jordan, are you al-" three new voices came from the door. They all cut off when they saw my arm around Jordan. One of them rolled her eyes and walked over to me, slapping my arm off of her.

"You really like to bother Jordan, don't you?" She put her face close to mine. "Will you just back off? I think you've caused her enough problems in her life."

Her words stung, and the only reason was because Jordan said the same thing to me earlier. Did I ruin her life that badly?

Jordan's eyes widened as she spoke. "AJ you don't have to be so-"

"No, Jordan," AJ cut her off. "He almost got you kicked out of Adeline! He almost caused you to not go to Yale, your dream!"

"I understand that," Jordan said flatly, keeping her gaze on her friend. "But don't be so hard on him. That's my job."

I almost smiled when I realized she was jealous. She had to have been, right? Did me almost kissing her affect her?

"Whatever," AJ sighed, crossing her arms. "You can yell at him later."

Jordan turned toward me and glared. "Sure thing."

"It's time to sign up for our electives," Lexi said to Jordan, grabbing her wrist. I remembered her from the plane. She was the one who enjoyed listening to Jordan and I bicker. "You better hurry up before all the good ones are gone. I want to get art, and classes like that are always the first ones filled! Come on, we have to hurry up!"

And just like that, Jordan was being pulled away from me.

As the girls all left the cabin, I followed them. Before AJ could ask what I was doing with them, I told her I needed to sign up for the electives as well.

"Why, hello there, girls!" Matthew greeted us, and I flushed when I realized he was speaking to me as well. Jordan seemed to get a kick out of it, though, because she smiled when she saw I was there as well.

It seemed impossible to find an elective, but I settled on dirt biking. Plus there were a lot of extra spaces after my name. As soon as Jordan and her friends left, I searched for the elective Jordan had written her name on. Since she wrote it down in pencil, I erased it and scribbled her name under mine on the dirt biking sheet.

Anything to be closer to her.