[ 4 ] Expectations vs. Reality

Comincia dall'inizio

My eyebrows raise in astonishment at the twenty unread messages I've received.

Making myself comfortable on the bed, I click on my inbox.

From: Aaliyah

Girl are you even alive? Are you going to join us or nah?

I instantly roll my eyes at this. Aaliyah's always the impatient type whenever it comes to texting her friends. I furrow my eyebrows, confused on what her second question means. Scrolling down on my phone, I read the message she sent me before this one.

From: Aaliyah

We're gonna go see the Redhawks match on Monday after school. . . U're down?

Aaliyah is fully aware that I don't really enjoy being in basket ball courts. There are just way too many fan girls, cheerleaders and the loud noises in the basketball court are really impeccable.

I find it strange that the players already have a match at the begining of the semester — I mean it's a little bit odd for them to start a match this soon but if I recall on a conversation that I had with Aaliyah in relation to basketball earlier this summer; I was informed that the games were now scheduled during periods when there'll be no exams including the beginning of senior year.

Aaliyah was informed by one of the basketball players, who so happens to be her boyfriend.

Our school's basketball team are called the Red-Hawks and the inter-school basketball competition is on the loose. Knowing there's no way out from refusing her request, I begrudgingly reply her with a 'do I have a choice?' text before deciding to take a long nap.

Screw the essay. It can definetly wait.

                                                                                        ♞     ♞     ♞

I awake abruptly to the sound of my ringtone. Letting out a monstrous growl, I throw a glance at my digital alarm clock to check the time.

7:20 PM

Sweet heavens.

I almost overslept for three hours. Grudginly forcing my body into a sitting position, I grab my phone and click the answer button prepared to put Dean in his place.

"Dean how many times do I have to tell you, never to both--"

"Sorry Em, Did I wake you and what? Dean? It's Aaliyah!"

This has got to be a new record. Now I know for sure that I really do need to check the caller whenever my phone rings. I have seriously become a lost cause.

"No it's fine and I thought you were someone else." I manage to say in a soft-spoken voice after a few minutes of awkward silence.

"And by someone else you mean Dean? Oh god Emery, your first day of school hasn't even ended yet and you've already managed to speak with Dean over the phone?''.

In some other cases, I would've called her a drama queen but, her tone is very suitable for the current situation.

"I know, he's the one who called me. I have no idea of what was running through his thick head when he decided to make the first call. He's so weird why would he even do that?"

"Unfortunately I don't have answers to all of your questions." She starts off "But tell me this. . . how was the passionate conversation that you both had?" she questions amusedly.

I rub my temples tiredly. "Other than the fact that he was acting completely obnoxious and delusional, I wouldn't say that we had a passionate conversation, but rather an unpleasant one."