Chapter 35: The End

ابدأ من البداية

"And this request is?"

"In Mai's old room, there's a painting of us both. Behind it is a letter I left her. If you could give that to her on my stead"

"I can do that"

"Mai must understand that she's always been my greatest treasure. My jewel"

"The whole 'Jewel of the Mizushima' name, you gave it to her?" Huey asked

"Indeed. It started as a special name I had for her, she was a beautiful little thing growing up. Then as her talents progressed, I suppose that name grew on her. I'm sure she dislikes the name now"

"I have a question, you said that the Mizushima are an advanced race, but from what I see, they're traditional in a way. Why's that?"

"My husband's grandfather -the 'founder' as our history will say- wanted equality between all clans. So he ordered that we live as the people of that time did. It was quite the adjustment from the life of extreme comfort just to seem normal.

"But, few in our ranks are allowed to keep use of our technology. Such as my husband, myself and Mai as well. I taught her what I could before my untimely death. I've watched her grow, and I couldn't be prouder. I just wish she had a normal life"

"I don't think she ever wanted normal," Huey said, "Besides, normal is overrated".

"Indeed it is," Mrs Mizushima laughed, "Well, I must leave again. Do not forget my request. And do let that husband of mine know that he should learn to make better decisions in the near future"

Huey's vision distorted once more and he found himself back in his room, seated seiza style on his futon. He rubbed his eyes, thinking about his encounter with the former Mizushima matriarch and the task to be completed. Huey heard another knock on his door, the servant informing him that the celebration would begin soon and that he had Huey's attire for the evening. Well, Huey thought, it's now or never.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mai P.O.V

Mai had been soaking in her bath, glad to at last unwind from the day's events. She wanted to forget it all. That she nearly got married, was nearly killed, and the reunion with her father. Mai scowled at those thought of her father. There was no denying that she loved him, but considering what she endured these last few days, she wasn't ready to acknowledge her father warmly. She couldn't even proudly boast any relationship between her father and herself. For crying out loud, the man sent her away for more than 8 years in the name of 'protecting her'! And yet the hidden truth was that Mai would never be at his side or in the comfort of her home; she was going to be in another household for the rest of her life.

Sighing, Mai sunk deeper into the rose scented water until it covered her mouth. She drew her knees to her chin, holding them in place with her arms wrapped around them. It all didn't matter now, she was here. Safe. The only thing left was to prepare to take over leadership of the clan. Mai would be strong. She would be more prepared for anything. Her journey so far had taught her many things, and she would make use of her life lessons to help her through and through.

"Mai-sama," Megumi called through the shoji door. Lifting her head, Mai quickly replied, "Yes?"

"It's time to get out of the bath and prepare for tonight's activities.

"Right," Mai answered, reaching for a towel as she stood up from the bath. Time to get this night over with, Mai thought.

****

Mai entered the family room, observing the room. Compared to the last time she was here, the room had three low tables. Two long tables for the members of the clan, and one short one at the far end of the room reserved for the head and his family. Both had been decked with mouth watering food, showing the true essence of Japanese cuisine. Painted screens were lined along the four walls of the room.