Chapter 35: The End

This has to be the longest chapter I've written of all my stories \(^o^)/

Enjoy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Third P.O.V.

The return of the Jewel had been joyous occasion for the Mizushima Clan. Everyone gathered around to welcome Mai, but her sights were on two figures.

"Megumi! Ichigo! You're both okay," she called out, running towards the duo and embracing them. The two returned the gesture, with Megumi planting a kiss on Mai's temple.

"We are glad to see that you're safe, Mai-sama," Ichigo said, as he and Megumi stepped back from the embrace.

"Hold on a minute," Mai began, "if you're here, how did you escape from the Kurosawa?"

"Let's head inside," Kenshin cut in, "There's going to be a time for answers to questions. For now, there's much to be done. It is a day of celebration after all"

Mai had to school her face from scowling. But her father was leader, and she had to comply with his command. She quickly found herself beside Huey and clutched his hand, squeezing it tightly.

"You okay?" Huey asked softly, noticing her change in attitude.
"Yeah. Just glad to be home," Mai replied, but Huey could sense the underlying sarcasm in her voice.
"Want to talk about it?"
"Its nothing. We're going to be separated from here. We'll meet again soon"

Mai let go of Huey's hand and asked for someone to show Huey to his room. She could sense his protest, but turned away from him and headed for her own quarters.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Huey P.O.V

A great feast was to be held that evening in Lord Kenshin's home, for the return of his daughter and the hero that saved her. It was quite a busy household, with preparations underway and clan members looking forward to the occasion.

Huey had never pictured himself in any settlement such as this. Who would have thought that his life would change as much as it did at the arrival of his new neighbor a few months ago. Or that he would embark on a journey with adventures quite different from the kind he had when he was younger. Traveling to new territory, entering a different time zone, clan wars, saving a damsel in distress. He had to hand it to himself, this would make for an interesting chapter in the story of his life.

Huey was currently in his assigned room as he contemplated these things. His thoughts also turned to Mai, worried about her since they departed. He wished that Mai would be more open to him. Hearing a series of short raps, his attention went to the door, where a male voice spoke,
"Huey-san, a bath has been drawn for you. I am to escort you there"
"Thank you," Huey replied, sliding the door open and following the young man.

An hour had passed by the time Huey returned. He was dressed in a black yukata, waiting for a set of clothes for the night's events. As he sat down, he felt a sudden blur to his sight. Huey rubbed his eyes and looked again, seeing himself back at the tree on the Hill. Looking around, his eyes landed on a familiar woman.

"Mrs Mizushima," he greeted, giving a short nod.

"Huey," the woman returned, "you have done well in saving my daughter"

"I would have done it even if you didn't ask. She's," Huey paused, "...special"

"Indeed she is. She's my pride and joy. I have request of you, that is if you have no trouble indulging this old woman one more time"