five

FIVE §

"It wasn't that hard," I say, rolling my eyes when Liam groans beside me on the couch. Theo is upstairs and playing with his action figures alone because he said he had to help Batman save Superman himself. He's also having fun playing with the Ben Ten watch Liam bought him.

Liam sprawls his legs across the floor.

"Yes it was," he says. Frowns at me. "I think you broke a bone or something. Again, what the hell Niall?"

"I'm sorry," I sigh.

Liam leans his head back. Rolls his head over the couch's back rest. His Adam's Apple is accentuated this way, more prominent, and I try to focus on the screen which naturally would've been unbelievably easy if the person beside you doesn't keep on groaning evey five seconds or so.

"Look, I'm sorry, okay? I didn't mean to step on your toe--"

"You stomped on my whole foot."

"Yeah, whatever. I'm just saying that I didn't totally mean to do that. I'm sorry, if that's what you've been wanting to hear. So shut up. Please."

"Woah," Liam says. "I just wanted you to get me ice. I would do it myself but then I realized, 'oh, hey, I might possibly have a broken foot I can't do this.'"

"Why didn't you tell me instead of just groaning all over? I'm not a mind-reader," I huff.

"Hey, don't blame me. The last time I got straight to the point with you you decided to hate me for eternity."

I roll my eyes (a new habit of mine) and uncurl myself from the couch to stand up."What else?"

"A kiss?"

"I'm serious," I growl.

"Sex?"

"Whatever." I hear Liam chuckle as I proceed over to the kitchen, scowling at the floor. At fate. Through the kitchen window perched over the sink I find the sun dipping past the roof of the neighboring house, faint slants of orange light flitting through the glass.

I sigh and weave across the kitchen just as thoughts play through my mind.

I hadn't meant to do that to him. I really didn't. It was instinctive, unstoppable when the thought flashed over my mind. It's just . . .

The anger and frustration and annoyance flickering in my nerves earlier were too hot and too much and I knew I needed to vent everything out. And I knew I had to get back at him.

But for what? For making my heart thump a little louder, a little faster than normal? For the blush on my cheeks? For cornering me?

For making sense?

When he'd (almost) pinned me against the sink, had those words knotted around my intestines, I was waiting for something. Dreading it. And I don't know what.

Do I really want to know?

I wrap my thoughts up as I crack ice from the ice wrack and drop it in a plastic bag. Sulking, I walk over to the couch and throw the stone-cold material on Liam's lap, startling him.

"Fvcking hell, it's freezing!"

'Well, it is a bag of ice,' I'm about to point out but Theo beats me to it.

"What?" he exclaims. Liam and I both jump this time, snapping our heads to him standing behind the couch. His eyes are wide, lips parted open in shocked amusement. "What did you say, Lili?"

"Nothing," Liam is quick to answer. "What are you doing down here, bud?"

"I was hungry." Theo waves the question away, intrigued by the new-found words. "What does, what does that mean? Can you say it again, Lili? It's funny!"