two

TWO §

“All of Theo’s needs are in his bedroom—always make sure he keeps it tidy, okay? Don’t do the cleaning for him, just assist because he really needs to learn. If he ever gets sick the medicines are in the third cupboard to the left, and his inhaler is in our bedroom at the top of our cabinet.”

“Okay, okay,” I say, laughing lightly at Cara’s frantic words. I think she’s being reassuring, but the doubtful look in her eyes tells me she expects the worse. “I can handle Theo. Right, buddy?”

“Yeah!” Theo agrees beside me, nodding. “I’m a good boy, Mommy!”

“Aren’t you, little man?” Liam smiles at him. And then he looks at Cara. “We can do this, ‘cous. Really. When was the last time I was actually caught holding a five-year-old and his cute uncle for ransom?”

I roll my eyes. How thick can he actually be to use those words in front of my freaking brother? Greg stands by the curb in front of us, on wet ground because the rain hasn’t stopped until last night while Theo and I were playing with his action figures. He’s got both hands dipped into his pants’ pockets, waiting. He’d already hauled all their things in the cab beside him. Actually, they were about to leave some  ten miutes ago, would have been on their way to Bahamas right now, if Cara hadn’t been pressing down all those reminders on us, which she’d written on sticky-notes anyway and had stuck them on the refridgerator and blender and other kitchen appliances.

But she’s leaving her child to me and an annoying git, teenagers who practically have no knowledge in taking care of children, so it’s completely understandable.

Cara is about to say something, worry etched in her face still, but my brother interrupts her before a long line of words could fall from her lips. “I’m sure Liam and Niall can take care of our son well, Cara. Come on, have faith in them. And we’re running pretty late, hon.”

She’s still worried, I’m sure. Her eyes say so. But she sighs anyway, nodding. “Okay.” She bends a little so she could kiss Theo on the cheeks and bids him a small ‘I love you’, then straightens herself and looks at us. “Take care, okay?”

“Yeah.” Liam and I say in unison.

She casts us one last glance before she curls into the cab, along with my brother who smiles at us and waves.

“Bye Mommy, bye Daddy!” Theo shouts when the door shuts, waving his hand with much more enthusiasm than necessary, grinning.

I join him. “Have fun!”

Liam doesn’t say anything. Just waves his hand thrice. Smiles. Because, you know, he’s too cool for a simple good bye. I roll my eyes. We would’ve waited until the cab cuts beyond our sight, but then the thick gray clouds hanging over us start shooting little drops of rain that drizzle over us, pattering lightly on the back of my hands.

“It’s raining!” Theo yells. Grins. Outstretches his arms and tilts his head backward so he can catch beads of rain with his tongue. He’s the weirdest kid sometimes.

And in a flash the rain blows stronger, heavier, spattering on the rooftop at first with separate metallic thuds. Quickly turns into a torrent of icy beads that blur everything in a haze. Seeps into our clothes. “Yup, seems like it, bro. But now we have to come inside.” Liam grabs Theo by the waist and hauls him into his arms, running across the lawn and into the porch. I’m right behind him.

By the time we’re under the protection of the roof, our clothes are mottled by dark spots where drops have seeped into, skin glistening a little, but we’re not so totally wet. Liam and I stop by the threshold to slip off our shoes because apparently there are invisible puddles still on the grassy lawn. From last night’s rain. Theo giggles and walks across the living room. Plops himself on couch where he turns on the telly to Disney. “That was fun, wasn’t it?”