Chapter 10 | ...The Tough Get Going

You know that fantasy that everyone has—you, the sea, the sky electric with stars, and the boy of your dreams?  Well I just LIVED it!  But there’s one major problem.  I have to keep it a secret from Murphy, the ever-watchful Fiona and, most important of all, my best friend Siobhan!

9:00 p.m.

I know what you’re thinking: Aisling, you’re the worst friend EVER.  I was thinking that too as I climbed over the dunes and peered down along the shoreline.  What was I doing?!  I spun round, my mind made up to go back to the hotel, when a soft, not-too-far-off light caught my eye.  Were those candles? 

Slater had laid out a blanket and sat grinning and expectant between two quavering tea lights.  “Heya,” he said and patted the blanket.  “Hey.”  I smiled and sat down with the box at my knees.  “Thanks.  For this.  It’s beautiful.”  “It’s only a token, sure,” he said.  “You’re beautiful.”  I nearly died on the spot! 

We spent the next hour talking about everything—what had happened at the party, why his Mom (LOTUS LADY!) was sending him off to the States.  He told me how he’d always wanted to be an artist, but his Mom had been on him to do something more practical—maybe a trade.  I thought of Ali and his control-freak Dad.  “I just wanted to do something BIG,” Slater went on, “show her and everyone I was serious about it.  So I painted the Dún Mártain break on the east wall of the school—the one facing the parking lot.  Took me an entire night.” 

“They expelled you for that?” I asked.  “I thought it was art,” Slater said, “but the school said it was vandalism.”  That’s the thing about school property and spray paint.  Anyway, he didn’t care all that much about being expelled, but the hit his reputation had taken, that was a real bummer.  Everyone thought he was a “bad boy” now, especially his Mom.  “She thinks I’m out of control, so she’s sending me to stay with Dad over in the States.” 

His story reminded me of Murphy.  Everyone on our block thinks he’s this rebel without a cause, especially my aunt, but if they got to know him they’d see he’s really a good guy.  Like Slater.  He tied a shell bracelet to my wrist that he’d made especially for me.  “It looks good,” he said, beaming.  I held out my arm to admire it and thanked him. 

Then I did something I NEVER do.  I kissed him.  It was only a little kiss—a peck on the cheek—but it felt earth-moving BIG.  He put his arm around me like a pure gent, and we watched the sea frothing below us in the moonlight.

Monday 5 June

9 a.m.      

The next morning I felt like my blood was charged through with electricity!  All I could think about was how special Slater had made me feel, how at home.  I know it sounds crazy—I’ve only known him for a couple of days—but I feel like we’ve been friends for ages.  For the first time in a long time, I feel like someone gets me. 

Siobhan is a different story.  When I went to fetch her for breakfast, she had her suitcase flung open on the bed and was piling her things in one on top of the other.  “I got your bag down from the wardrobe,” she said.  “Why?” I asked.  She launched into this rant about how there was NO WAY we could stay in Dún Mártain, not with uncle Ciaran in a huff.  We had to go back to Dublin.  She’d called a taxi, and we’d be back by dinner.  She had that “don’t even THINK of trying to change my mind” tone in her voice. 

My mind was racing—how could I convince Siobhan to stay?!  “I told your uncle that I’d stay,” I said, digging my hands into pockets, “and I’m not gonna let him down.”  “Ah yeah, that’s really convenient,” Siobhan hissed.  “What’s that supposed to mean?”  She turned to face me head on.  “Aisling Fitzsimons meets a boy, forgets her friends.  Oh yeah, AGAIN!” she barked.  WHOA!!!  What about that time she’d gone off with her band and hooked up with Skunk?!  I s’pose THAT doesn’t count? 

“So you weren’t flirting with the DJ at the party,” Siobhan jeered.  “What about our pact?”  I didn’t know what to say, so I changed the subject.  Coming here was HER idea!  She was so keyed up to see her legendary uncle!  And now look!  Siobhan cringed. “Well I thought he was this big business man, but he’s not.”  My head felt like it was going to explode!  Right—Ciaran’s not this “big business man” anymore.  But he’s still your uncle!  And none of this is his fault!  “Maybe you should just talk to him!” I yelped.  I was THIS close to telling her everything, but thought better of it.  If Ciaran wanted to set things right with Siobhan, he had to do it himself.  

“Stay if you want,” Siobhan said, rubbing her forehead with the back of her hand, She flopped shut her case.  “Better than being home for the summer!” I said, knowing it was last ditch.  Siobhan nodded a caustic YEAH.  I knew that this was something she had to do, for better or worse.  But it wasn’t going to be the same without her here.  I hugged her to me, but she just stood there, bolt upright and seething. 

9:30 a.m.

WHERE was Ali?!  I ran up and down the halls and finally found him in the old study.  “Siobhan’s leaving!”  Was that Fiona he was chatting to at the window???  I swear, this day keeps getting weirder and weirder!

Ali caught up to me on the stairs and we sprinted outside just as Siobhan was opening the door of the cab.  “Please don’t leave,” I said.  She smiled faintly.  “You know I have to,” she said and gave me a hug—a real one this time—then reached out to Ali.  He squeezed her close.  We were SO going to miss Siobhan. 

Then I heard the gravel crunching behind me.  It was uncle Ciaran.  His face was pale and a bit stricken.  Siobhan looked up to him, blinking.  She hated goodbyes.  “Give my love to your folks in Spain, then,” he said, “I’m sure you’ll learn a lot about business in Malaga.”  “As much as here,” Siobhan shot back.  My heart thumped in my ears—Ciaran wasn’t going to give up on Siobhan!  Or the hotel!  We could really make something of this place after all!  “If you run away now,” Ciaran went on, “you’re a quitter like me.  Worse.  You’ll be letting your friends down.”

Siobhan looked up at Ali and I, her eyes misty.  And right then, the cabby HONKED at her to hurry up!  She shrugged her shoulders.  “I have to go,” she said and ducked into the back seat.  I couldn’t help but feel like all of this was my fault.  If I hadn’t let Slater distract me at the party, Siobhan wouldn’t have been caught out by Celia, and we’d never have gotten ourselves locked into this mad bet!  And now that she’s leaving, I won’t have the chance to make it up to her.

 ...........

Click the Thumbnail Below or Click Info on Mobile to Watch the Webisode.