Chapter 37: I Write Sins Not Tragedies

“I really want to help you out, but it’s difficult when you don’t give me all the details.”

“I can’t! Some of the stuff doesn’t concern just me.” I huff and lay my forehead down on the cool wooden desk.

I could probably fall asleep right here since I didn’t sleep well last night. Too many things going on my mind and too much crap happening all at once.

As soon as my alarm went off this morning, I called Ann and asked her to meet me at the library before classes so we could chat.  She’s the only one I have to confide in right now and to be honest,I’ve missed her. She’s still my best friend.

The only issues I can really openly discuss are my long lost uncle and my living situation. I wanted her advice on how to explain to Alex that he probably has a stepsister, but I couldn’t ask it that way. I had to be pretty vague about it which annoyed her.

All she said was that it’s better for me to tell him whatever I know before someone else does. It’s almost ironic since it seems that everyone was or is on the same boat. Ann should have told me about how she knew who I was when we met, Alex should notify Jax about their mom reappearing, and now I have to inform Alex what I saw. I’m not even sure if I should mention his father’s “bribe” in all this.

Everything I just processed is fucking confusing and I feel like I have a migraine.

“Okay, let's start with the most pressing problem, like what the hell are you going to do about housing?” Ann asks with a whispered tone.

“I’m pretty sure no one is listening to me complain about my problems. No need to whisper.” I mutter.

Ann and I are sitting at the table farthest away from the library’s entrance for privacy. It’s also mostly empty with just a few students scattered throughout studying or pretending to while playing mindless games on the computer.

The only one eyeing us is the elderly librarian. She watches everyone like a hawk. I personally like to imagine that she thinks all of us are part of an undercover ring to steal the university’s precious textbooks. It would explain many things.

This is a movie that basically writes itself.

I start laughing at my own thoughts until Ann speaks up again.

“Are you crying? Everything is going to be fine. I will help you no matter what I-” She starts, but I hold up my hand to stop her concerned rambling.

“I’m not crying.” I sit up and snort.

“You are a strange one.” She rolls her eyes and tears out a piece of paper from her spiral notebook. “Can I borrow your pen?”

“Sure.” I shrug and pass her my favorite black ink pen. By the time I complete my sentence, she’s already scribbling like a mad woman on the paper. “What are you doing?”

“I’m brainstorming and writing down the answers to all your problems. Good news is you have plenty of options. Well, at least three.”

“Options? I have those? Go on…” I motion intrigued.

Maybe Ann’s a wizard and magically thought of something I haven’t yet. So far, the only thing I have came up with is to quit school and cry in a corner in the fetal position.

“Plan A is to tell Alex of your predicament. You know he will help you. Plus, you two would probably end up living together at some point anyways.”

“No. He’s busy with other things.” I don’t say specifically since again, it isn’t for me to tell. His family issues are private. I’m not about to act like a gossip by spilling everything to Ann.