4 - King Alexander

Chapter 4

King Alexander

I was shown into the main throne room, where Alexander was waiting patiently for me. George nodded and silently made his way out, and the doors closed. It was just the two of us in the room, no guards, just us. He looked up when I did not move, for I was waiting for him to do something first. He slowly approached me, every footstep like a pin dropping. His shoes made a tapping noise rather like metal, and I wondered if the soles of his shoes were plated in it. Probably, after all, there was no doubt about whether he could afford them or not.

I looked down at the floor as he came closer and closer, not knowing what to do, not knowing what he planned to do to me. My breath was getting heavier, and I tried to stop, but I couldn't help it, and it just got worse. I think he could tell, but he just ignored it. When I could feel him standing right next to me, I could feel his soft fingertips on my chin, raising my head up so that I was forced to look at him. He was even more handsome up close, and his eyes seemed to have a little glow that made my heart throb. But there was something a little intimidating about him too. It made me want to look away, but I knew I couldn't. I mustn't. His fingers stayed firmly on my chin, their pressure slightly harder, but still soft and gentle. Unlike George, his hair stayed perfectly in place, apart from one small wisp of black that fell just between his eyes. I was sure if he tried, he could pass himself off as a statue.

"Hello Ada." he whispered. I didn't respond, not knowing how to. I didn't want to say hello back, uncertain about whether that would sound too informal on my part. I desperately wanted to ask him how much he remembered of me. How much he remembered of fourteen years ago. After all, George had said he'd talked about me like I was hard to forget. Or was that just George being polite? He seemed like the kind of man who would want to make people feel their best. Maybe he had been exaggerating. Yes, Alexander must have still remembered, but would he treasure it as deeply as I did? I wasn't going to risk hearing a no.

"So you are my second, then. Pretty little thing." I wasn't sure whether to take that as a compliment, or to be slightly weary of it. At the time, I felt slightly uncomfortable. His hand traced down my skin to my shoulder, which he gently rubbed, feeling my skin. If it were any other person,  would have leapt away, and probably punched them, but I couldn't now. He was the King. And my duties as 'his second' said that I must let him do with me what he wants. But his actions were strange, slow, nothing like the eight year old boy I had met all those years ago. The only thing that was similar, were his quiet words, like the boy who whispered in my ear that he liked me.

"You don't talk much, do you?" I remained quiet. He smirked. "Not like before." My eyes widened with astonishment and glee. "Yes, Ada, I remember. I would never forget you." I smiled shyly, and I could feel my face going red. His hand had come off my shoulder, and was now slithering round my waist, but I didn't care. He had remembered. And just as George had said, he hadn't forgotten me at all, or that's what it sounded like. "You're my unforgettable girl, Ada." His other hand had made its way round my waist, after gently placing one of my hands on his arm. I moved the other one myself.

When he leaned in to kiss me, I could feel my heart going wild with the knowledge that he had remembered, and he cared. My doubts were put safely at rest as our lips met. I had expected it to be softer, but he seemed forceful, like he believed I would not be willing to kiss him back. But I was, and his force soon softened. He began to make his way down my neck, before there was a sudden bang on the door. I jumped in surprised, but he still had hold of me. He let go very slowly, so I had to wait a while before I could move, but when I could, I didn't. I just stood there, my eyes half closed, breathing so heavily I thought I was suffocating. It was Alexander that made his way to the doors, which swung open as he pulled them. There was a man in a black shirt, with a matching bow tie, waiting at the door.