Maan

Maan.

I was at home, making me some lunch when I heard the doorbell ring, leaving the kitchen I went to open the door and I found a man standing with a bunch of flowers in a bouquet. “Maan?” “Yes...” “These are for you from… Kiya…? Sign here please.” I signed and took the flowers to find a vase to put them in. There was a note with the flowers that read, “Soon to be yours, Kiya” Only she would do this cheesy stuff. I was in an arranged marriage before her, and the most romantic thing he did was to take me out for lunch before the wedding crazies had begun. I went back to making my lunch, I didn't want to be eating burnt food.

I had the day to myself as my ‘prep schedule’ for the wedding only started from tomorrow. So I wanted to do something special in the house that would be special for us when we came back after the wedding. I had this long planned out, I wanted to make a frame that had the maps of the places we had landmark events that took place, like, we met in Mumbai at a bar, so there will be a map of the place and the event. I wanted to add a few pictures around that frame too. This was a tough one to get done with Kiya being around this was the chance I got.  This is what my day was going to consist of.

I pulled out some old pictures that we had bothered to get printed and save as physical copies. The memories came back flooding in with every picture I saw. There was a picture of us standing in the freezing cold in Rishikesh, Laxman Jula, we were friends who decided to go on  trip. Both of us had never been on a trip by ourselves and this trip meant we were finally becoming independent and we could take care of ourselves. Not to forget the amazing atmosphere and the climate of the place. That was a trip to remember, for two reasons, 1) it was our first trip together, and first trips with anybody is special. 2) we bonded. We could sit talking for hours after we had decided to go to bed, after a long and tiring day yet not feeling tired. We spoke about families, ourselves and everything that we could ever think of.

The next photo I pulled out was a photo that was taken from my phone that I had developed. When I met Kiya, she was in design school. And if anyone who knows anything about art students, it is that they sit up all night ‘finishing work’, when in reality it will be new pieces and ideas that they start only then. Kiya is one such nerd, who will keep her work table light on and stay there drawing until, I wake up at three and drag her to bed. This picture showed the concentration that she was showing when she was inspired in full work mode. Her passion flowed through. This was also one of the nights that I woke up and realized that I was lucky to have a girlfriend who was passionate about her job. A  very sexy thing indeed!

There were photos that we had developed from our phones, I would rather say that Kiya stole the pictures and got them developed. She did not trust that these photos would not get lost, so she needed to have physical copies of all things that brought back memories. There were pictures of us just holding hands whilst sitting on the couch. This was something we still do, we just couldn't keep our hands off each other. We needed to touch. Although I think this was one of the first times this had happened, hence why the picture, it's like our hands just found each other. There were tons of pictures of us in bed, sleepy morning photos, pictures of Kiya sleeping, I know it sounds creepy but she's so beautiful when she sleeps that I need to capture that. A lot of kisses… they were cute though. And of course I also found our photo booth pictures.

I took the photos that I wanted and printed the maps that were also needed. I took the maps to a local frame shop to get them framed individually. I brought some craft string and went home to make an across the line thing from where pictures would be hanging.

When I was done the room looked more ours now. Kiya would want to come and hang some fairy lights somewhere, but I'll leave that her. I swear that girl loves her fairy lights. The day was over now, and for the first time in a long time, I was going to be sleeping alone. The bed felt too big and cold. I couldn't wait for Kiya to come back and this time I'm never letting her go.

.....................................................
Read
Like
Comment
Share