Special Agent Maldonado

(A/N Esther and Avi aren't related in this, but Darien and Esther are married)

I was awoken in the middle of the night to my work cell phone blaring in my ear. I groan as I answer it.

"Special Agent Maldonado?"

"Yes, Director?"

"We've got a case. A Caucasian female was murdered in her home. Neighbors reported screaming, and some small town cop went to investigate. Apparently, he was expecting domestic abuse. Found something way different.." I sigh. It's Sunday, my one day off.

"Cause of death?"

"Not sure yet."

"I'll tell my team."

"Okay." She tells me the address, and I write it down.

"Oh, and Kirstin?"

"Yes, Director?"

"I'm assigning you a partner."

"A what?!"

And with that she hangs up.

A partner? I've never had a partner. I don't want a partner. She or he is probably going to be very annoying, and if it is a he, he'll hit on me. I know it. Every guy at the F.B.I hits on me.

I mean, it's kind of flattering. But, it is annoying.

I quickly call my team and head to the F.B.I building to meet up with them. Hopefully Grassi will remember to get me coffee. They all should know I don't do well without coffee.

I walk into my office to see Grassi, Hoying, and Olusola waiting for me. Mitch hands me a coffee from Starbucks, which I gratefully accept, and I update them on the case.

"Oh, guys?"

"Hm?" Scott replies.

"Director is assigning me a partner. Which means you all will have another person to report to."

"Who is it?" Kevin asks.

"Avriel Kaplan, being transported from CSI. Apparently, FBI was much more interesting,"

Esther Koop, the director, walks in with a man trailing behind her. I've never seen him, did she get a new assistant?

"This is Avriel, Kirstin. Your new partner."

Great. He looks obnoxious.

"Like, my forever partner? Or just this case?"

"Forever, Maldonado."

"But Director!"

"Special Agent Maldonado. Now is not the time."

I turn around to my team, who are obviously amused by me, and order them to get the truck. Avriel simply stands behind me. I hope he stays this way, I am the boss of my team. He won't be allowed to tell them what to do. Me.

Only.

Me.

Olusola, Hoying, and Grassi all do as they're told, and Esther leaves. Now it's just Avriel and I.

"So, I'm you're new partner?"

"Yes, and don't expect me to be nice to you. I never wanted a partner, and Esther knew that. Let's set some rules. My team means my team. You will not order them around without running it by me first, and you must stay by me at all times."

"Jeez, I'm not some probie. Well, I am, but not to investigating. I used to have my own team, you know. In fact, I'm a huge asset to your team. Which, by the way, isn't your team anymore. It's ours."