Unravel

The beach was quiet. It was a rare escape from the city. The two twins were hardly allowed out of the sight of their temporary guardian, who seemed to change once a month to the twins. This seemed to be the first time they had been alone since at least a month ago. And the first time they had been outside the city in months.

Y stood in the shallows, her shoes abandoned on the sand behind her. Her short blonde hair brushed her shoulders as the ocean breeze blew by. The scent of salt permeated everything around them. It wasn't unfamiliar, and it did for once seem to be a comfort.

Back on the sand X sat reclined. His own shoes were beside him as he let the sand rub on his bare feet. His own blonde hair was blowing out of his eyes. His eyes watched his sister, waiting to see what she would do. If she did anything besides watch the ocean. The two young twins, hardly old enough to be allowed on their own, were always unusually silent between the two. Words weren't something they needed to exchange.

"Hey X," Y said turning to look over her shoulder. Her wide brown doe eyes looked at her brother with curiosity and something else. Were there tears in her eyes? Or was it just the light reflecting off of them to seem like tears?

"Hm?" X locked eyes with Y, waiting for her to speak. Explain why she had suddenly turned around to speak to him when she had been silent since they arrived here, just like she always was when at the beach.

"You know I love you, right?" Y asked. X frowned his eyebrows drawing together as he tilted his head to the side.

"Well yeah, and I love you too," X said. "Why? Something wrong?" Y showed her affection for X often. She would hang off of him and hold his hand. She kissed his forehead every night before going to sleep. It was no secret she loved him. She went out of her way to show it. And he never doubted it for a second.

"No, I just. I feel like I should tell you," Y said looking back to the ocean. The sun was hanging low, almost to the point it rested on top of the water. Y frowned, her lips pursing together as she looked into the twilight. "Could I ever do anything that would make you hate me?" Y asked.

"No," X said without waiting. He knew there was nothing that could tear them apart. They had been together for far too long to ever be separated. No matter what happened he would never hate her. Though he couldn't say the same of her.

"Come on, there has to be something. What if, what if I left you to die?" Y asked. She turned back around and walked out of the water. She dropped to her knees beside X grabbing onto his arm. X smiled closing his eyes.

"Nope," he said. He reached out and ruffled her hair. Y glared and pushed his hand away. She dropped her hands into her lap.

"Seriously, I'm not joking," she said. X sighed opening his eyes. He gave a crooked grin and looked to the ocean.

"I know you're not. And neither am I. If you left me to die I'd gladly die for you. That's a brothers job," X said simply. Y frowned and looked down at her hands. She closed her hands, looking back up at him.

"But, I'm the elder. I'm supposed to protect you," Y said firmly. There were tears in her eyes this time. X looked at her again keeping his smile.

"So let me repay the favor every now and then," X said taking her hand and giving it a gentle squeeze. Y smiled and looked down, tears rolling down her cheeks. "Are you sure you're ok?" X asked, leaning forward to look more closely at his sister.