CHAPTER 23: FOX IN A HOUSE OF HENS

Start from the beginning

"I know that" Betty said softly "but knowing Cheryl" she sighed, "that's what worries me, hopefully she does talk to Polly" I replied running a hand threw my hair. My back pressed against my soft sheets littered with pink kittens printed on it. Then my door opened to my room revealing my mom "time to go to bed Anna" she smiled softly, somethings off about her, she's more quiet than usual and is mostly keeping to herself.
She still hasn't given me an explanation for missing the baby shower, or why she turned up drunk. But she was probably just having a bad day.

"Okay" I said, she quietly closed the door her footsteps disappearing "I have to go, I'll talk to you tomorrow though" I said. "Yeah, I'll keep you posted" she replied, "okay night Betty"

"Goodnight Anna"

I hung up the phone throwing it on charge before turning off my lamp and snuggling underneath the blankets. Then I let my eyes close enveloping me in darkness.

"ANNA!" A voice screamed, I jumped awake seeing the morning sun shine through my window. "COME ON ANNA WERE GONNA BE LATE" a voice yelled up to me. I rolled over checking the time on my phone seeing I had ten minutes before school started, instantly I jumped out of bed and ran into the bathroom. I quickly did my business before brushing my teeth and pulling my hair into a quick ponytail, I didn't do my makeup since I don't have time. I ran back into my room and threw on some clothes before running down stairs after packing my bag.

"Forget to set the alarm?" Marcus said as I ran down the steps, I nodded before grabbing my keys and rushing out the door Marcus at my side.

When we finally arrived at the school the bell had already rung, I groaned.

Great now I'm going to have a late pass, Marcus also.

"You wanna skip?" I asked, "sorry can't, I've got a math test this morning" he said shuffling from me. "Seriously" I pouted, "sorry Anna" he smirked ruffling my hair. He walked away leaving me alone, great.

I sucked it up and walked towards my first class, English, yah.

-------

"My parents are unbelievable" Betty said pacing back and forth between Jughead and I as we sat in the blue and gold office, "Polly is locked up in that house like a character out of Jane Eyre, and what are they doing? Changing each other's login accounts and throwing bricks through windows" she vented.

"I wish I'd seen that" Jughead said, Betty and I shot him a look "okay, I'm sorry, that's not funny" he apologised looking down slightly. " It's like, you know how, in a time of crisis, people either come together or fall apart? It feels like we're falling apart" Betty's eyes began to tear up her voice cracking "and the way things are going, pretty soon, the Coopers, we're not gonna exist anymore.
And there's nothing I can do to stop that" she sobbed.

"Betty don't do that, don't give up" I said leaning shuffling towards her, "your family is splintering, no doubt but it won't fall apart. You know why, because there's one thing keeping it together" she sniffed looking at me "you, you're holding them together. Your so much stronger than all the white noise, you're stronger than your mother, you're stronger than your father. You're holding this family together. So don't. Don't let go" I said giving her a soft smile and rubbed her shoulder.

She gave me a small smile before saying "I won't".

Marcus's P.O.V