Chapter 3: The Mirror Doesn't Lie

The school's Castleteria Clock was ticking past eight o'clock. The bright moon rose from the thick clouds. It glistened on the school's large pond as a crowd full of shimmering pixies started flying into the emerald Enchanted Forest.

Another day in Ever After High ended in a new light, but every end is a new beginning. Well, that's what everyone else said.

Darling dropped into an armchair in her dorm room. She stared into the yawning space in front of her through the open window.

Then something caught her attention. A silhouette of crimson came in view from the enchanted forest, her feet barely touching the ground, encircled and accompanied by a luminous white cloud. Darling followed the strange silhouette's every movement, floating into the wind. 

But in a blink of an eye, the silhouette was gone into the air with no trace. Darling blinked and thought that, maybe, her mind was tricking her. She walked towards the other side of the room and stood in front of a mirror. She pulled all of her platinum-blond hair into a ponytail and fixed her baby strands with bobby pins.

Getting a small glance at the Storybook of Legends was thoroughly difficult in the morning. Professor Grimm will be doing all the paperwork in his main office. Why not in the evening where everybody's going to their beds?

Unfortunately, Rosabella Beauty was having second thoughts about Darling's getup.

"Where on ever after are you going?" Rosabella berated, barreling towards Darling with her arms crossed, draped in a plushy bright yellow nightgown. She picked at her curly brown hair as she questioned Darling's outlandish outfit.

Darling dropped her gaze down her frame, sporting black leggings with a royal blue long-sleeved top that only reaches her elbows, a pair of semi-heeled black boots, and a bronze utility belt around her waist.

It was positively not suitable as a nightgown. Let alone to any celebration that has gathered around the school. Darling knew that Rosabella did not like any of it, not one bit.

"Mr. Gingerbreadman assigned me a task this morning to prepare the stadium for a practice match tomorrow," Darling replied nervously, the only excuse she could think of. Plainly stating a lie to her best friend forever after made her stomach churned in disgust.

"By this hour?" Rosabella asked as she raised an eyebrow.

Darling wiped her sweaty palms against her hips. "You know Mr. Gingerbreadman. He is not known for being efficient. . ."

"And you didn't finish this task of yours earlier?" Rosabella asked again. Her face has skepticism written all over it.

"I was too busy with Princessology," Darling winced.

"Darling," Rosabella assured her best friend. "Are you the only person to prepare the stadium?"

Quickly, Darling! She thought to herself, and her face was sweating anxiously. Think of a convincing excuse.

She said nothing.

"You can't fool me, Darling," her best friend smirked mischievously. "Mr. Gingerbreadman could not assign you for cleaning duty considering you're not a member of the Cleaning Program. You do know that Apple is in charge of the school's organizations, right? Additionally, there's no practice match tomorrow," Rosabella said with a pause. "And you know why?"

"I do--"

Rosabella immediately raised her palm to Darling, a gesture for letting her finish first.

"It's because tomorrow is Saturday."

Darling merely gulped, clutching both hands beside her waist.

𝕰𝖛𝖊𝖗 𝕬𝖋𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕳𝖎𝖌𝖍: Princess In A Shining Armor #EAHWattyAwards2018जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें