Resurrection Part II

„I can't tell you everything, but I assure you, Farley does."

Shade repeated Mare's words in his head. She'd nodded and smiled beneath her tear-stained face. "Really, you should go to her, she must be in Hall 4." She'd hugged him once more and so he stood here, wringing his hands and expecting someone to stare him dead in the eyes and ask, "What the hell are you doing here?"

Shade shook his head. Mare shouldn't have left him alone on Tuck, just "brought back to life" and in danger of stumbling over his own grave. Fortunately he found his way to Hall 4.

Yet he was still utterly lost. He's missed almost two years of life before this nice but strange Newblood Myra resurrected his dead body and called on his soul from wherever it had roamed. He couldn't remember, he could only compare it to dreaming, like impressions swiftly forgotten and beyond his control. But he was still Shade Barrow and this was his body. It felt both familiar and uncanny at the same time. That might be the consequence of existing as a "ghost" for two years. Suddenly, he had the absurd idea what a silly anticipation his name had been and cackled. He knew he was more than "a shade".

He focused on the here and now. Diana Farley was in that building. What would she say? She hadn't been present when he arose though Mare had implied that she knew while the rest of their family wasn't on the island. He might see them soon, but until then, Farley would be aching to meet him. He hoped. As he was longing to see her, if only he felt ready.

He made the first step into the hall, trying to be quiet, perceptive to any movements around him. He didn't need to venture far into the hall until he heard voices. There were panting and shuffling noises, like from moving crates.

"Too bad no one else bothers to help us with these records," Farley said from around the corner. Shade stepped closer unintentionally, then stopped himself when he saw her. She was carrying a box with another man. He bit his lip and noticed for the first time that his heart did beat again.

"Well, you look terrible, General, so maybe you should take a rest," the man prompted.

She snorted and shook her head, urging Shade to hide behind a beam. It felt cowardly, but the situation was too awkward to simply run into her.

"I didn't sleep last night, as Clara is sick," she replied. "She hardly slept either, and woke up coughing all the time."

Her companion nodded with compassion. "I hope she gets better soon."

Farley took another box and nodded. "She's over there. I thought fresh air might help." She sighed, and Shade turned away. She didn't sound like she was talking about a comrade sharing her room, and his thoughts oscillated. He remembered there had been something weighing on them, nagging on him, just before he –

He shuffled away from the beam, turning again to the persons around the corner when they noticed him.

"Hey! Come here and help us," Farley barked at him and before he was face to face with them, the box she carried fell down with a loud, clanking rattle.

Diana stared at him for seconds. Then she crashed into him.

He stumbled, and as he embraced her back instead of holding his balance, they fell to the ground.

"Brutal," he mumbled, but hell, he didn't care about his hurting tailbone as long as she was in his arms and breathing against his neck. She was so warm, compared to the cold lingering in his bones. If he could hardly believe he was alive, how was it for her?

She sobbed. Her hands grabbed his shirt while he stroked her in turn. "Diana ... ," he began.

"I'm a coward."