December - Christmas

Start from the beginning

"I'll have the same." Kristen tells my mum who begins working on the drinks straight away.

"Does Missy not want anything?" I ask, wondering what she is probably up to.

My mum, smiling at me and shaking her head say "I didn't ask. The little monkey is already far too hyper, this is the last thing that she needs. Anyway, I told her that the sooner she goes to bed then the sooner it will be morning and Santa will have been. After that she put her pyjamas on and crawled into bed herself." My mum says to me.

"Oh, that's a shame; I was looking forward to meeting her." Kristen then says while I pass her, her cup of hot chocolate.

"You'll meet her tomorrow, bright and early, I'm sure of that." My mum replies.

The five of us then walk into the living room where we decide to watch a Christmas film  Kristen and I are sat on the sofa, along with Kristen's mum and my parents are both sat in the two recliners that we have. Wrapping my arms around Kristen, I pull her closer to me so that my chin is resting on her head.

I try to pay attention to the film that we are watching but it is nothing special. Just another girl meets boy at Christmas time, kiss under mistletoe and snow falls kind of film. Just as the boy tells the girl that he can't be with her, I feel Kristen wiggle against me and yawn. I completely understand how she is feeling watching this film. Through the rest of the film, I notice that she keeps yawning quite a bit and her eyes keep closing so she has to force them back open. She looks incredibly cute while doing this.

After what feels like a lifetime, the movie finally ends, with the boy and girl getting back together on Christmas day after just discovering the boy is Santa Claus. By this point, Kristen is practically asleep against my chest.

"Right then, I really enjoyed that film but I'm off to bed now." My mum announces and I roll my eyes at her. She would enjoy that film.

Kristen stirs herself awake at the sound of my mum's voice and mumbles something about how she is going to go to bed as well. I follow up behind her a few minutes later after washing all the used mugs up and putting them away. There will be enough pots out tomorrow with the Christmas dinner. Her mum must have gone to bed while I was in the kitchen because when I returned back into the room, there was only my dad left.

When I get into my room, I see that Kristen has changed into her pyjamas and is laid in my bed. I quickly change into my own and lay down beside her, wrapping my arms around once again so that she is cradled against my chest.

With one hand, I stroke her blonde hair and ask her, "how are you feeling?"

She looks up at me, her eyes gazing into mine, and replies, "tired if I am honest. Confused but there is also the five year old in me who is very excited for Santa to visit tonight."

I smile down at her, continuously stroking her hair which makes her smile. Hesitantly I ask, "And what about the baby?" as surprisingly, no one has mentioned it all night.

The smile drops from her face, almost immediately, making me regrets asking her that but it is not like we can ignore it. Next Christmas could be a completely different one.

"Honestly I really don't know. But at this moment in time I'm leaning towards keeping it. But if I do, I don't want you to feel like you have to be there. That would be nice but-" she babbles out before I interrupt her.

"Hey I've said this before and I'm saying it again, I will be there no matter what. If you do want to keep this baby then I want to be there too because it's my child as well as yours. So you don't have to worry about that." And I mean it. If Kristen wants to keep the baby, then I want to be a part of its life. It is both of ours mistake.