Heart To Heart [39]

Start from the beginning

I see Emily and Chase together, their pure love and devotion for one another and it hurts my heart because I could see Eliot and me reaching that stage of a relationship. I've been drawn to his gorgeous eyes from the first moment I saw him. I felt our connection spark and his presence alone makes me feel safe and protected. He always tries to keep a smile on my face and comforts me when I cry. I hate to say it but I miss him. I'm angry at him but I can't ignore how much my heart has been yearning for him since I woke up in the hospital.

"I know it hasn't been long since the accident and I cannot imagine the kind of pain you're feeling right now but that's why Emily brought you here. You need people around you that love and care about you, people that understand the kind of pain you're going through." I scoff at him.

"Who could possibly understand the kind of pain I'm going through? Charlotte is happily and heavily pregnant, Claire has three beautiful grown up children, I don't see how they can understand."

Carter runs a hand through his unruly hair, his expression almost hesitant to say something, maybe something that isn't his secret to tell but after what seems a moment of thought, he nods to himself.

"Maybe not them but you missed out one other person."

I frown at his words. Well the only other female here apart from me is Emily and as far as I know, she hasn't...

"Emily?" I whisper, completely horrified.

"It's not my story to tell but out of everyone here, she understands you more than you know."

I feel my heart drop into my stomach. Has Em had a miscarriage? Is that why she's been so insistent on getting me out and distracting me from sinking into a depression because she knows how it feels? Why didn't she tell me? As much as it hurts being around a pregnant Charlotte, I understand why Em wanted me here. Carter is right, I need to be with the people that love and care about me. I can't get through this on my own.

"Are you sure he really loves me?" I finally ask him, biting my bottom lip softly.

I've only ever heard Eliot say he loves me once but that was because he was scared of losing me. I was leaving and he blurted it out in fear of never seeing me again.

Carter smiles, his eyes assuring as he nods slightly.

"You're the only woman he's ever been in love with." I feel myself smile at his words. Eliot has never pressured me into an intimate relationship with him, he was always patient and took things at my pace. That alone shows how much he cares for me and I know all the things he said to me hurt but I can't blame him for what happened. It really wasn't his fault. 

I walk around Carter to sit down in the chair at the desk, leaning back comfortably with a soft sigh. Would it be so bad if I just hear him out? I turn my head to look at Carter and he grins a little wider. He knows what I'm about to ask him.

"Can you get him for me please?"

"YES! I mean, yeah sure, whatever." I giggle at his excitement that he tries to brush off casually, watching him as he leaves the room to find his brother. 

Surprisingly, I don't feel nervous or anxious as I wait for Eliot to get here. My heart doesn't pound rapidly against my ribcage and my stomach doesn't knot up in anticipation of what's to come out of this conversation. I'm pretty relaxed in this chair as his footsteps approach and he knocks quietly on the door before opening it. I'm instantly looking at him as he steps into the room and closes the door, the uncertainty clear in his eyes. In fact, his expression and entire body language screams uncertainty, the complete opposite to how I'm feeling. 

"Hi." I smile at him, trying to ease his worry. His eyebrow raises slightly in surprise, it's the first word I've said to him since I left. 

"Hi?" It comes out as more of a question causing me to smile wider.