Chapter 9

Aidan's POV

Every so often I glanced at Caleb, then at the clock, the back to Caleb. The nerves in my stomach never stopped clenching as I replayed yesterday's conversation. I have to meet his dad - the company president and holder of my future - today.

Yet, after each mini panic attack, I would notice Caleb smiling at me. He didn't seem the least bit nervous, and yet he should be a nervous wreck, worse than I am! "-dan... Aidan."

I jumped at the hand on my shoulder, looking up at Andrew. He frowned, his brows furrowed. "What's wrong? You've been acting weird since this morning."

Shrugging, I smiled slightly. "No... It's nothing."

Andrew had a weird expression on his face as he watched me, before he finally removed his hand from my shoulder. After he left, I sighed. My head was a jumbled mess of everything. Work, Andrew, Caleb... Nothing made sense.

I knew that somewhere, I still liked Andrew, but I kept thinking about Caleb. But Caleb has his own life to live, that doesn't include me. Just because I found out that he's gay, doesn't mean I have a chance. I mean, what would his father say? What would his father do, for that matter.

---

After work, I stood up, stiffly walking over to Caleb's desk. He smiled up at me. "Ready to go?"

Andrew, who was working overtime, glanced up. "You're leaving with Caleb?"

I nodded. Andrew looked like he wanted to complain, but he said nothing, turning to his screen with a scowl. Shrugging it off, I nodded to Caleb, who stood up and grabbed my hand, casting a glance behind us before leaving. 

"So... Where does your father live?"

Caleb pointed up at the large building I recognized immediately; it was only the building home to the biggest corporation I've ever heard of. I immediately paled. "Y-... Your father... lives there?!"

He nodded, as if we were discussing the weather. My legs  tightened, but Caleb tugged my hand. "Come on, you can do this."

I turned to him. "Me? What about you? He's your father!"

He shrugged, and that was that.

When we walked in, the secretary sitting at the front desk freaked out, standing quickly and rushing to us. "Caleb!! Your father said if you ever came by to let you up immediately." She glanced at me. "And... I suppose your friend, too."

She led us to the elevator, pushing the button for the top floor and heading back to her desk. We watched the lights blink, leading us closer and closer to the top floor until finally, we'd arrived. Caleb squeezed my hand, and I jumped. I'd forgotten he was still holding my hand. He smiled at me. "Don't worry."

Taking a deep breath, I followed him out of the elevator. I tried to pull my hand away, but he squeezed harder. I followed Caleb down the hall until we arrived at the only door on the floor. His father's office, I assumed. Caleb knocked, and a raspy voice gave a grunt from inside. "Come in."

We walked in, and the man sitting in the chair at the back froze. his face was a mess, if I had to admit. his hair was disheveled, and his face was blotchy. He seemed older than he really was. his eyes were red, but he looked up, surprised and his eyes filled with disbelief and hope. "C-... Caleb?"

Caleb frowned, scowling. His change of attitude surprised me. "Hello... Father."