Smooth Sailing II

A/N: The song is Sail by AWOLNATION

I kept up on my Sunday sailing without Mark. I kinda figured he wouldn't come back...he seemed like he was just into hanging out once and then going back to whatever life he led. That didn't discourage me any, though it was fun hanging out with him. Besides, I'd be hypocritical if I bitched about it...I don't keep friends, typically. I prepared my sailboat for an outing, and just as I was about to push off a familiar voice called out from behind me. "Is there room for one more in that boat?" I turned to see Mark. I smiled. "Only for you." I replied. "Get in...and be careful." He laughed. "I'll try...I'm not so great at getting into this thing." I steadied the boat while he jumped in. I boarded right after him and we set sail. "I'm sorry I haven't been coming." he said. "Life has been hectic." I shrugged. "It's okay." "No it isn't. I told you I'd be here, and I haven't been for weeks. I was afraid I would miss you today when I came down here...I've been here since sunrise." I wasn't very inclined to believe that, but I figured he was at least reasonably honest. "You didn't have to do that." I said. "I know, but I wanted to come sailing again." We hit open waters, we were further out than what we'd ever been before. He turned and looked at the marina. "Wow...this thing moves fast." "There's a nice wind today...and the motor helps, too." I laughed. He smiled and looked out at the horizon. "Any travel plans or are we just winging it?" "Does this look like a plane, Mark? We're sailing." I replied. He shook his head. "I see you've picked up on my lackluster sense of humor." he replied. "I tried." I said. "You did well." I chuckled. "We're just going wherever the wind takes us." I said, looking around. "Don't worry, I know my way around out here. I've sailed for a long time." He seemed relaxed and the gentle movement of the water kept us content. "There's a really cool island out here." I said. "Island? Around here?" he asked, surprised. "Yeah, it's...strange, but it does exist. There's some kind of pile up of sand and it's barely big enough for two bodies...but I love going out there. It's weird. It'll make you feel weird though...you can't see any land. It's just a pile of sand in the middle of deep waters." Mark shuddered. "I loathe the deep." he said. "Why?" I asked. "I don't know what's down there." he replied. "Nobody does. It's like space on earth. No one knows shit about the majority of it. You love space, right?" He smiled. "Looks like someone checked out my videos." he said. "Yeah, I did. Just a few. I borrowed my roomie's computer and looked at your channel. You're so childish sometimes." He snickered. "I know, but it keeps me feeling young." I could see that. He gave me the impression of being 20 when he was damn near 10 years older than that. "I do love space though." he said. "We should go night sailing sometime." I suggested. He looked uneasy. "I dunno about that..." "Out here all you can see are stars...it's amazing. I'll bring ample light, don't worry." he mulled it over in his brain for awhile before agreeing to do it sometime. "Look out my way, there it is." I said, pointing to my little hideaway.  He craned his neck. "That's definitely a small island. We're gonna have to share some space if we get out." I leapt from the boat without warning. "Toss me the rope." I said. Mark looked over the side of the boat at me. "You're braver than I am." he said, handing the rope to me. I swam over to the island, giving the boat and its occupant a tow. I heard the bottom of the boat scraping the sand and let go. "Jump." I said. Mark looked around before hopping into the ankle deep water. "I should've taken my shoes off." he said, looking down. "Pfft, they're sandals. Them getting wet is no big thing." He smiled. "I guess not." he said, stepping onto the hot sand. I sat beside him and we talked about nothing. "Let me know when you're ready to head in. It's hot as hell out here." I said, playing with a shell. "I could stay out here forever,  but you're right, it's freaky...just water as far as the eye can see." he got visbily uncomfortable, and the comforting part of me activated. I placed my hand over his. "It's alright, the shore is just a few miles that way and my boat can get us there. Do you want to head back?" He stared at my hand without speaking. "Mark?" He snapped out of it. "I'm fine." he replied, blushing a bit. I removed my hand and his little smile faltered a bit, but we both brushed that off. I could feel the tension in the air. "I really am sorry I didn't come out here sooner." he said softly. "It's alright, you don't need to be sorry." "I want to stay in touch better, so let me get your number." I laughed. "Remember our swim a few weeks ago?" he nodded. "Well, it cost me my phone. Sorry." He scowled. "No phone?" he asked. "Nope." I replied. "I'll take care of that." he said. "In the meantime, here's my number. Call me from a payphone if you have to." he scribbled his number on my hand. "Thanks, but...this will probably wear off." I said. "Then I'll wait until we get back on dry land to give it to you." I smiled, blushing a bit myself. Oh my, I never form bonds with people...especially this quickly...

We watched the sun start to sink down. "I think that's our cue to get back." I said, standing. "How long have we been out here?" he asked. I looked at my watch. "Three hours and counting." "Shit." he replied. "Time flies when you're having fun." I smiled. "That it does, but we should get in before we get sun poisoning." He laughed as he pulled himself into the boat. I grabbed the rope and boarded and we headed back to the marina. "Same time next Sunday?" I asked, docking my boat. "I hope so." he replied. I looked at my hand. His number was still there. "I'll go copy this down on paper and give you a call sometime this week. Maybe we can get lunch or something." "That would be nice (y/n). I'll look forward to your call." he departed and I watched him walk away. Deep down, I was a bit disappointed that he didn't kiss me or something. That's completely out of character for me. Hmm...