chapter 5

I woke up to the sun shining in my eyes. I slowly opened my eyes and remembered everything that happened last night. I groaned. I got up and stretched, my legs were very sore from falling asleep by my window. I had been staring at the skyline until around 2. Suddenly J.A.R.V.I.S's voice rang out into my room. "Good morning miss Everleigh, It is currently 8:56. Would you like to hear the weather?" I yawned, "Sure J.A.R.V.I.S, go ahead" there was a pause before he said "Today will be sunny with a high of 84 with a low of 73. I also have a message for you. Mr. Rogers would like me to let you know to come to see him in the kitchen." Then his voice disappeared. I did not want to go talk to Steve or any of the avengers. What happened last night was so embarrassing, the last thing I wanted was for them to find out. I just hoped they weren't angry with me.

Once I changed and got ready I met Steve up in the kitchen. I walked in to see him talking to someone on the phone with his back to the doorway. I cleared my throat. Steve turned around and smiled when he saw me. Good, Hopefully, that means he's not mad. He hung up the phone and walked towards me. "Morning Everligh, hope you slept well. I was just making some eggs, want some?" I smiled and nodded my head. "Sure, thanks. I appreciate it." At that point, Tony walked in. "Hey kid" He mumbled refilling a coffee cup. I waved. Once Steve was done we went to the dining room. We sat across from each other in what I felt was an awkward silence. After a few minutes, Steve said to me "look Everligh, I know last night must have been scary for you, but we want to do what's best for you-" I interrupted him with a horrified look on my face "You're sending me back?" He shook his head. "No! no, of course not. I just said we want to do what's best for you and that means you will never go back there. But it means we also must know everything that happened." I sighed, on one hand, I was very thankful I wouldn't be going back. On the other hand, this would be very hard. I try not to think about everything I've gone through, but I guess I'll have to. I began to explain everything, from how I would get hit on any free surface of my body, to being starved, to being locked in my room for days on end. I managed to power through all the bad memories. Steve just sat there and listened. Never stopping me to ask questions. Not even stopping when I started crying thinking back to the first time I was hit at age 5. I still remember the day so vividly. The way I just sat there crying on the floor on miss underwoods office. not able to comprehend why this was happening to me. Finally, I finished. Steve got up and hugged me, before telling me he had a call to make and leaving the room.

"Later in the day, I was sitting on my head reading when Tony came into my room. "Hey, What's up?" I asked him. "What's up is that we have been called for an Emergency mission, We have a place set up for you to go. Pack clothes and meet us in the living room in 10 minutes." I nodded and grabbed a drawstring bag I had. Tony shook his head. "No, don't use that. I figured you could use something nice. Everything you need is in your closet." And then he walked out. I walked into my closet to find a whole bunch of clothes that miraculously appeared and a set of suitcases with my name on them. I put a bunch of clothes in a suitcase along with my toothbrush and hairbrush.

I walked into the living room to find all of the avengers standing around suited up. It was quite scary actually. Tony handed me a backpack. "Here you go kid, I know you went to public school but we've decided to send you to a private school nearby. The family you'll be staying with has a kid that goes there. You can work with them to get you into the right grade." They all said goodbye to me and I got a hug from Steve and Nat. Steve told me they would be back a soon as they could and that a man named Happy was waiting for me downstairs. Once they all left I went into the elevator and when to the ground level. I said bye to Pepper who was at a desk and walked out to see a black car with a man standing outside. "Happy...?" I asked. He nodded his head and took my bags. I got into the back and we started on our way.

Finally, after driving for a while we pull up to an apartment building. Happy told me what apartment to go to and then left. "Thanks a lot" I mumbled and walked inside. I walked up a few flights of stairs before finally standing in front of a door marked D32. I knocked on the door and a boy answered. "Hi, I'm Peter, you must be Eveleigh."

first written September 11 2017

Re-written April 6 2021