23. Marinette (Adrien)

After I landed on the roof, I peeked inside her room cautiously. The trap door had been left open. Marinette was lying face down on her bed. I could hear her sobs from where I was perched. "Purrincess?" I asked softly before letting myself in. I walked over to her bedside. She glanced up from her wet pillow; her cheeks were pink, and her eyes swollen from crying. My heart cringed.

"Oh Cat!" She sobbed as she stood up and tossed her arms around me in a desperate hug. I held her tightly as she cried into my chest. "Oh Marinette, I'm so sorry." I thought to myself as I rested my chin on her head. After what seemed like an eternity, she pulled away.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable." She said as she wiped her eyes. "No not at all Purrincess." I said gently as I led her to the bed. She sat down wearily. "Do you want to talk about it...?" I asked softly. She glanced at her folded hands.

"Adrien, he..." She trailed off biting her lip. "He kissed someone else." She said sniffling. "He likes Chloe." The knot in my throat got tighter. I wanted to scream, to tell her that it wasn't true, that there was only room for her in my heart. "I should have known." She whispered as she glanced sadly at her posters of me.

"He's known her longer than anyone else. They're in the same social class. I'm nothing but a plain, clumsy baker's daughter. There was never any way he would look at me differently." Tears poured down her cheeks again. My heart ached with each one she shed. Seeing her sad was killing me.

"Please try to calm down." I whispered as I placed my hand on top of hers. "It's dangerous, you may attract an akuma..." I trailed off remembering what had happened before. I squeezed her hand, a flimsy reassurance attempt.

"You're right." She said as she wiped her tears and took in a few deep breaths. "Did you talk to him about what happened?" I asked as I clicked my heels together. Of course I already knew she hadn't. She shook her head. "I couldn't bring myself to face him." Her eyes watered again. "He's an idiot." I affirmed as I placed my hand on her cheek. 

"I'm an idiot..." My mind repeated as I wiped away a few more of her stray tears. "You're amazing Marinette." I said as I held her gaze. "You're talented, creative, kind and you stand up for others. Any guy would be lucky to have you by his side." A soft smile stretched her lips. It was accompanied by a very subtle shade of pink on her cheeks. "Please don't put yourself down." I begged as I caressed her cheek with the back of my gloved fingers. She placed her hand over mine.

"Thank you, Kitty." She whispered, allowing her gaze to fall. "You're too good for him Marinette." I continued softly. "You're too good for me..." My mind reiterated as I leaned in a bit closer. "Cat..." She began as I lowered my hand to her chin. I placed my thumb over her lips to silence her. "I have something to confess..." I whispered, my gaze fixed on those strawberry lips ."W-what is it?" She asked in that same half-whispering tone. It made everything seem so...intimate. I leaned in even more. 

"I...I like you Marinette. I like you more than I'd care to admit." I whispered. "And I don't think there's anything wrong with being a baker's daughter. On the contrary, more pastries for me." I joked, causing her to laugh. My heart raced when I noted the proximity of our faces. I could feel my cheeks get warm beneath the mask as she leaned in all the way and nudged her nose against mine. "You always know how to make me feel better. Thank you...Chaton." She whispered back as she leaned in even more. I could feel my eyes beginning to get heavy. "Silly Cat." She whispered but made no effort to stop me as I aimed for her lips.

(Crash!!!)

A loud noise outside made us both jump. "What the hell?!" I shouted as I leapt over to the window. I leaned out as far as I could, only to see an Akuma victim hovering over the city."Crap!" I hissed as I gripped the windowsill tightly. I glanced over at Marinette who seemed to be in a daze. Her cheeks were still rosy from earlier. "Purrincess." I began but she stopped me. "Don't worry, I understand." She said with a smile. "Go save Paris." I nodded as I took out my baton. "CAT-cha later!" I said with a wink before jumping out the window. "See you in a bit, ladybug..." I thought to myself as I made my way towards the rumbling chaos.